Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

compatible software

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:52 PM

Not long ago, I bought a new pc with windows 7. I found out that a lot of programs I used to use are not going to work. Not a big deal so far but, kind of a bummer.
I usually use cnet for my downloads, it's setup nicely with ratings and such, and I'm familiar with it...... You can sort results by OS as well... and when you limit it to windows 7, the list gets a LOT smaller. I've randomly tested a few that didn't specifically say Windows 7 and sure enough, quite a few will not work for me.
I don't really want to mess with settings too much, especially if they're settings that I would have to change back and forth AT ALL...
The other day I was looking for pinball and so far can't find anything that will work for me. pinball isn't a huge deal and it's definitely not the only thing I've had issues with. It's just the most recent thing I was thinking about.
I'm sure people will continue to make newer, compatible software... it's just a little frustrating at times I guess. I'm enjoying Windows 7 overall though.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:19 AM

I'm really not sure what you're talking about. I've yet to find an app that worked with XP or Vista that won't run in Windows 7 (32 bit).

#3 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:33 AM

If you're looking for the Pinball game from Windows XP, here is how to get it: http://pctechnotes.com/how-to-play-xp-3d-pinball-in-windows-vista/
References to Vista are the same for Windows 7. I have Pinball installed from XP on my Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:57 AM

I'm really not sure what you're talking about. I've yet to find an app that worked with XP or Vista that won't run in Windows 7 (32 bit).

What you need to understand is, before about a month ago I had NEVER even looked at a windows 7 machine. There's a LOT I'm sure I still don't have a clue about.
I just did a little searching on google and found a discussion that said 32 bit programs should be in the programsx86 folder. If this is true, that could account for something.
Basically, I tried a bunch of programs that just did not work. I paid no attention to where they were installed so I don't know for certain that it was the issue. I could not get KMP and a couple other media programs to work. Chicken Invaders and a few other games wouldn't load for me. Some wouldn't even install... others would install and then just not run.

I'll go download something that already didn't work for me, pay attention to where it gets installed, and see if that was the issue. Hopefully that is all it was.

Edit: Sure would be nice if I could remember which ones failed for me. I tried several for this computer and my wife's. On my wife's I was trying to install educational games for the kids. A LOT of those didn't work but I sure don't remember what any of them were called.
At any rate... I'll try to pay more attention to where programs get installed.
I did just run chicken invaders but, I found out the problem I had before wasn't a compatibility issue. I'd start playing and it would close itself and bring up something about shortcut keys. I had to go in and tell it to NOT turn on shortcuts when a given key was hit 5 times. After that, I could play no problem.
If I think of something else that didn't work, I'll try it and I'll post again if it fails or anything.

Edit #2: Just tried Remie Bad Pinball from Softpedia, and it automatically went to x86... still didn't work. Tried changing the compatibility settings for it... still can't get it to work.
Off to do other things now but will update about other programs if and when they don't work.

Edited by millipede, 29 March 2011 - 09:50 AM.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:02 AM

1) Are you running Windows 7 64 bit?

2) Try running the program in XP Compatibility mode.

#6 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:12 AM

Also, try updating your DirectX files from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

#7 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:19 AM

yes, 64 bit
while I haven't tried all the ones that had originally failed, not sure when I'll get to them either, that remie pinball thing.... in properties, you can select to run it in windows compatibility. It at first chose XP SP3... didn't work. Then I tried again, it suggested XP SP2 I think. There are options to go back further than that but, I can't imagine having to. Maybe I'll go try to run it in 2000 and see what happens...
nope... in 2000, I get nothing...
XP SP 2, thing pops up asking if I want to allow that to make changes to the computer, as it does with a lot of programs, and then nothing. Tried them all, some do nothing at all, some ask that question then do nothing. Not sure what to think...

Edit: I have DirectX 11 on here already. I make sure I keep things as up to date as I can

Edited by millipede, 29 March 2011 - 11:29 AM.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:50 AM

Okay, as I said in my first post, there are no problems with 32 bit Windows 7. There may be some issues with some programs and 64 bit however.

#9 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:10 PM

DX11 is only one piece of the DirectX graphics package. Windows 7 only comes with a few of the more common DX9 files. The update link will fill in these gaps in DX9 files that are needed to run most older games.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

#10 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:35 PM

ah... well, you'd think it wouldn't need files from 2005 and 2007(I'm downloading now and seeing those numbers...) You'd think MS would have more automatic updates to help with compatibility. You'd think anyway, or I would... Oh well...
about 5 minutes left to the download... then installing... then, chances are, a restart... then I'll test it out and see what happens.

Edit: It didn't ask for a restart... simply said it was ready to use. Still can't open that particular application.

Edited by millipede, 29 March 2011 - 12:42 PM.

#11 j0eshm0e711

j0eshm0e711

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:54 PM

You could install XP in a Virtual Machine like VMWare, VirtualBox, or Virtual PC 2007.

#12 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

Yeah, go figure. I spent hundreds of dollars for DX11 video boards and most of the latest games are DX9. Eventually you'll need these installed even if they don't help with your current errors.
If these are 16-bit format you can use D-Fend Reloaded. http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

Edited by Zuhl3156, 29 March 2011 - 12:57 PM.

#13 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:38 PM

eh, thanks for the tips. I'm not going to do anything even remotely complicated or time consuming. If I find an application that I absolutely NEED, then I'll figure out what I need to do.
I just figured that more new things would be geared towards, or at least would run in a 64 bit environment. Oh well........ So far everything I NEED to use works fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users