Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Spybot search and destroy is still useful?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:59 PM

Is Spybot search and destroy is still useful?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

More effective alternatives are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Free.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:41 AM

Dear Quietman7,

After reading your message were you spoke over Spybots & Destroy also Super Anti-Spyware, have I about this a question for you.
I use Spybots & Destroy program and I use this all many years and I must saying, I love that program, but sometimes want a human change of things.
Okay than, after reading your message and studied the picture of that program, took I the decision that I download Super Anti-Spyware for testing.

If I told, use I regular S&D for trace malware etc., but my question for you is:

When I run Super Anti-Spyware program, must I than remove S&D for eventually conflicts with Super Anti-Spyware or does this not matter and can I let stay this on my drive.?

Why do I test this program out? Well, I want know or the program what you gave via the link is also a good program.
I don't believe all what people tell.
I hope that you are not hurt with my words, but I am someone that I want see with my own eyes, that what people tell and or give, is also true.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:08 AM

I recommend using SUPERAntiSpyware Free as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. The free version does not provide real-time protection or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. You can always update the database definitions through the program's interface or manually download them from here.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Windows Defender, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, Spyware Terminator, etc. will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real-time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, competing tools may provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing as a result of the overlap in protection.

If using multiple real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc.) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. They may identify the activity of each other as suspicious and produce alerts. Further, your anti-virus may detect suspicious activity while these programs are scanning (reading) files, especially if it uses a heuristic scanning engine, regardless if they are running in real-time or on demand. The anti-virus may even detect as threats, any malware removed by these programs and placed into quarantined areas. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts or false alarms that continually warn a threat has been found if the contents of the quarantine folder are not removed before beginning a new security scan.

#5 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:52 AM

Thank you for your information.
What you told when you run more than one Spyware program and that you get than conflicts, that is more than logical.
Because every program has his own machine instructions, when you run 2 or more Spyware programs, than it is exact what you did tell.
In my own words: They will fighting together.
We can this see as: 2 people sitting in the car, one of them drive the car and the person that sitting next the driver, would also drive the car and tell the driver what he must to do.
Than get that persons conflict with together.
So I am agree what you told.
Since the accident what I had last year with a tool, am I more safety now.
My opinion with Hijackthis tools and Spyware tools is, it is better that I ask what are the consequents is, when I run a tool, than I don't ask and I get troubles.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:14 PM

My opinion with Hijackthis tools and Spyware tools is, it is better that I ask
what are the consequents is, when I run a tool, than I don't ask and I get
troubles.

I agree.

#7 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

I have test for the first time Super Anti-Spyware and what I did see; maybe am I to fast with my opinion, is Super Anti-Spyware better than Spybots & Destroy.
S.A.S. is at least simple in use.
So when I use S.A.S. more and I like it, than I use from now S.A.S.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:51 PM

I still use Spybot Search & Destroy on occasion. It tends to find things that other tools do not.

My tools of choice are Grinler's RKill and MalwareBytes AntiMalware.

Sometimes I will run malwarebytes, SAS and Spybot all at the same time and it doesnt hurt to have all installed.
Its more than one Antivirus program that you dont want to have.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:54 PM

I still use Spybot Search & Destroy on occasion. It tends to find things that other tools do not.

My tools of choice are Grinler's RKill and MalwareBytes AntiMalware.

Sometimes I will run malwarebytes, SAS and Spybot all at the same time and it doesnt hurt to have all installed.
Its more than one Antivirus program that you dont want to have.

Wouldn't it cause some conflits?

Well I don't know if it's just me but Spybot scanning takes time

#10 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:04 AM

Spybots & Destroy is not a bad program, but sometimes is the time there that you would some else with another.
What I can say about S&D is: Its take the time with start up, when you hit the S&D icon.
SAS is faster when you hit his icon.
What I could see so far, is SAS (Super Anti-Spyware)easier in use.
With S&D must you know where or what you must do, for clean up the bad files in system internals.
Not all do know that S&D has this function.
SAS does this automatically, what I do know at this moment.
When you don't use very often the program S&D, than you can't know.
That S&D has this function, do I know many times, because, when I use a program, than I test this out.
When a program does on my condition and I like the program, than take I the decision or I will work with that program or not.
Why test I the free ware programs? Well, not all free ware programs are good and on my machine want I not bad stuff.
I must not thinking on the fact that I download and install a program what is free ware and I got troubles.
With free ware programs am I skeptical.
But I say it still again, Spybots, Search and Destroy is not a bad program.
Everyone has his own experience with one or other.

Edited by RadioNorthsea, 30 March 2011 - 05:57 AM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:52 AM

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.
  • The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both.
  • Options to scan for spyware, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS).
  • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
  • Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.
  • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
  • A computer's hard drive size.
  • Disk used capacity (number of files to include temporary files) that have to be scanned.
  • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
  • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
  • Competition for and utilization of system resources by the scanner.
  • Other running processes and programs in the background.
  • Interference from malware.
  • Interference from the user.
-- Using two security scanning engines at the same time can cause each to interfere with the other, cause systems hangs, false detections, unreliable results and other unpredictable behavior.

-- If the screensaver, hibernation or Sleep Mode are not turned off before scanning, those features can sometimes have odd effects when attempting to resume normal mode.

#12 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:31 AM

Options to scan for spyware, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS).

Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).

Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.

What action has to be performed when malware is detected.

Yes this is all true, but there is at this moment one thing what I want tell and that is:

Not all malware is harmful.

I tell why not all malware is harmful: I have on my hard disk Idiomas.
What is Idiomas than, maybe you are ask?. Okay than, Idiomas is software what I did buy last year for English course for Advanced.
In that software education sit a Trojan Agent .
Oh no Trojan, I will say when I am paranoia, but it is not oh no, because via that Trojan Agent give that company my updates for my language course.
So, I can delete that Trojan Agent from Idiomas, but when I do that, than got I no more updates and my registration key is than missing.
Some programs have a Trojan Agent for updates and other not.
Alright, it is nice that I tell this all, but as a normally user must you know that.
When you have not read many years HJT-logs or now DDS-logs, than when you see this sort things, than the user will be afraid.
Now a question for myself: How am I absolute sure from my case, that the Trojan Agent what I have in the folder Idiomas is legal.? Well here we go again, I tested this out.
Last year saw I this for the first time, then I ran my S&D, I removed that and after that, I got no more updates and also could I no more working with that program.
It is just what I did tell, no all malware is harmful.
When you start up S&D, than get you the answer too, that not all malware is harmful, be sure that when you delete the malware; that you may still use that program.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:10 AM

Anytime you suspect a file was falsely detected (a false positive) or appears suspicious, then you should submit a sample to the anti-virus's lab for analysis. Most anti-virus vendors have instructions for sample file submissions posted on their web sites. Once a file is received, a technician can examine it in more detail and provide a report letting you know the results. You should also contact and advise the program vendor that one of their files is being detected as a threat. In many cases they will work with the anti-virus techs in an attempt to resolve the detection.

For submission directly to a specific anti-virus vendor, please see:

Edited by quietman7, 30 March 2011 - 08:12 AM.

#14 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:27 AM

Yes Quietman7, I was this forgotten, sorry.
I will say, it is my old day. :P
Thanks for this note.
But however, it is good from me, that I also was I forgotten, have said that not all malware is harmful.
So the members they have just something, must not immediately self fix things.
They can better ask for help.
Also was I an Application Programmer in the years 70\90 and also do I know lot of things, still can I learn lot of things and I am not in shame when I do not know anything.
Because, I am a human and just like else, am I not perfect.

Edited by RadioNorthsea, 30 March 2011 - 08:29 AM.

#15 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

SpyBot does have a cool game in it.
I dont think it can be won.

Its hidden and Im not telling where it is.
No fair Googling it either! :nono:
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users