Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Squares of old windows stuck on desktop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LoadmasterC141B

LoadmasterC141B

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

Hello all. I have 2 small squares of what I can only call "old and closed windows" that stay on my desktop and overlap any Window I open. If I reboot the computer, it goes away for a while, only to re-arrive when I come back to it a few days later. The only new thing on this PC is Magic Jack, that my wife added. I am at a loss as to how to begin debugging this.

I have attached two images showing my desktop and an open internet page.

Thanks in advance!
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?43e8d748ec.jpg
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?ccc661b6e0.jpg

Edited by LoadmasterC141B, 28 March 2011 - 08:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

From what I could see, it looks like it's a website view source page.

Unfortunately, I cannot think of anything to make it go away. I wanted to mention what it looks like because it might help someone else figure out why it's stuck.

#3 LoadmasterC141B

LoadmasterC141B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:01 PM

Yes because that is the last webpage I closed I guess; I was viewing the element code. Next, I viewed an Nvidia page and parts of that page showed up in those little squares.

Edited by LoadmasterC141B, 28 March 2011 - 08:01 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:44 PM

Clear your cache, especially Temporary Internet Files.

I just did a veiw source of several pages, and when Notepad opened with the source the path is indicated at the top.
Within the path is Temporary Internet Files.

Maybe deleting the temp internet files will work to resolve this for you.

#5 LoadmasterC141B

LoadmasterC141B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

So far I have uninstalled Magic Jack, run Spybot, defragged, cleaned all temp and history files, and installed a fresh set of Nvidia drivers. I have not seen it come back yet, but it always seems to take a few days to resurface.

Edited by LoadmasterC141B, 28 March 2011 - 08:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users