Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless printer to laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joetab24

joetab24

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

hi,

I am trying to connect HP Deskjet 3050 printer with wireless capabilities to an ACTIONTEC ROUTER from Verizon MI424-WR . I can't get my dell laptop to pick up the printer. The printer does work when connected to the computer using a USB. "No Filtering" shows as a fail on the test report that I printed. Thanks for your help!

I have managed to connect a wireless blu rayer player and my laptop to this router.

Please let me know if I can provide additional info

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jayges7

jayges7

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:44 AM

Hi!! just some questions to get a clear picture of the problem. How did you install the printer? Did you install the printer using the WPS feature on your router? When you ran the printer software did you get an ip address (192.168....)? First thing we need to know is if your printer is really connected to your network. What kind of wireless security are you using? If you are using wep try changing it to WPA or WPA2.

#3 joetab24

joetab24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:05 PM

Hi :)

"How did you install the printer? "

I just followed the installation directions. I think they're here. During the install, I was instructed to connect via usb to establish a network connection. Wasn't able to.

"Did you install the printer using the WPS feature on your router?"

No, I don't think I have this option.

"When you ran the printer software did you get an ip address (192.168....)?"

No IP address.

"What kind of wireless security are you using? If you are using wep try changing it to WPA or WPA2."

I am not sure. I purchased an INSIGNIA wireless blu ray player a year ago and I couldn't get it hooked up until I followed the following directions:

"STEPS I FOLLOWED TO HOOK UP INSIGNIA WIRELESS BLU RAY
MY router: MI424WR
step
1 go to: http://192.168.1.1/ and log in
2 Once you log into your router via the web, you should see the screen on page 16, linked here ( http://tinyurl.com/lqdnag ): CLick on Wireless Setup icon on top left. That will take you to the screen on page 28.

Click on Advanced, and you will see the screen on page 30.

The click on WEP(even if it's already checked)

A new screen will appear. The top is the Network Authentication drop-down box. Change it to "Both"."

#4 jayges7

jayges7

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:36 AM

Hi!!
There are several things I can suggest you to try. You can try changing the security settings in the wireless setup of your router from WEP to Open (that means that you don't need a password to connect)just to check if the printer would connect under this setting. Also when changing the security settings remember to disable MAC filtering options too. Now I found this document, you can follow these steps too, one important thing is to restore your printer network defaults. Then try it as I already suggest you with WPA or Open security settings (these seem to resolve the issue for other HP users). You can check this video too for instructions on how to setup your printer on the network. Remember that the more options you try (changing to wap, to open, changing SSID name)the better. Warning: if the printer gets to work under an Open security configuration you have to decide if you really want to leave your network open to the public.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users