Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No display after upgrading video card

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SIothy

SIothy

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

I am trying to upgrade my video card in my computer. I installed the drivers for the new video card and uninstalled the old video card drivers. Switched them out and booted and there is no display. The computer displays FF on the motherboard.

I am upgrading from a Video card - XFX PVT73GUGF3 GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Support Video Card
to a Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16.

Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

My specs are:

Windows Vista SP2

Power supply - Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V V2.2 Intel Core i7 Compliant Dual 80mm Fans Full Cable Sleevings Power Supply
Motherboard - DFI Lanparty UT CFX3200-DR 939 ATI CrossFire Radeon Xpress 3200 ATX AMD Motherboard
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2.2GHz Socket 939 Dual-Core Processor ADA4400DAA6CD - OEM
Memory - 1 X G.SKILL 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory Model F1-3200PHU1-1GBNS
Memory - 1 x G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS
Sound card - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - OEM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

The first thing I'd do is make sure that the card is correctly connected. Remove and reinstall and card, and make sure it is in the PCI slot correctly.

You also want to make sure the card does not require a 6-pin power connection -- some cards require an additional power source like this.

Give that a shot first, as that is the first and simplest test. After that we'll move on to other tests.

#3 SIothy

SIothy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:52 PM

Yeah I've tried moving it to the other pci express slot I have and that still didn't work. The card has no spot to plug power into it.

Is there any chance that it's not compatible with my motherboard? The motherboard is about 5 years old now and the card is farely newer. It could just be that it doesnt support 1 gb cards? I don't really know a lot about that kind of stuff and I didnt see anything on the motherboard's website about compatibility with video cards so I'm not sure.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:12 AM

Your motherboard should be able to support it because it has a PCI Express slot.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 SIothy

SIothy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

I went back in and removed everything nVidia and still no luck with the new video card. I just downloaded driver sweeper and I'm going to try that out. I found a few other forums that have said switching from nVidia to ATI is pretty hectic so if that doesn't work I might try a fresh install of my OS.

#6 listeur

listeur

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:44 PM

Just beacuse a card plugs into the slot does not mean it will work right away. Does your motherboard have onboard video? From your post it looks like the motherboard "hangs" and will not even post. If it IS posting all the way into the windows splash screen that is good- it just means the drivers are either incorrect, video resolution is not set correctly, or something in windows video configuration is not correct.
Some motherboard bios requires you to set the default as internal or external. There may be other settings related to the video settings that need to be checked if the bios is hanging.
Another way to check if you are getting video at all is to use the F8 key on boot and try the basic drivers in safe mode or vga only mode. That being said- if you even get that far obviously the video is working somewhat. At least in safe mode you can generally uninstall incorrect video drivers and get it back to a a basic video driver to start with. AFAIK nvidia and ATI both have a unified driver download that should work in most cases for a basic video driver.

#7 SIothy

SIothy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:24 PM

My motherboard does not have onboard video and it displays the FF code which means that it is fully functioning. I am getting no video signal so I am only guessing from the FF code that it posts to the windows splash screen. I've read on some other forums that nVidia likes to change some startup files to include their drivers and that can cause problems with an ATI card. I'm resetting the CMOS right now to see if that will help.

#8 SIothy

SIothy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

I just did a clean install of Windows Vista and the card will still not display on boot. I'm beginning to think the card is screwy so I think I'm just going to return it.

#9 SIothy

SIothy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:24 PM

I just checked their website and the video card needs a minimum 400w PSU and I have a 430w PSU. Is it possible that the video card isn't getting enough power and that is why it's not working? The video card's fan works though so I'm not sure if it's just not getting enough or what. Let me know what you all think.

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:50 AM

Your power supply is capable of powering that graphics card without a problem.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#11 acheleg

acheleg

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

many power supplies overrete their watage. it also maters how the power is divided among the rails. amd/ati is also not always compatible with nvidia, and you have an ati chipset. it could be the power supply or the motherboard.

#12 SIothy

SIothy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

I unplugged everything leaving only the hard drive, graphics card and dvd rom drive plugged in. I even unplugged 2 of my 3 led fans. The video card would still not show any display. The motherboard has an ATI chipset and I am replacing my current Nvidia geforce 7600 GT with the ATI card. So I'm switching the video card to the same brand as the motherboard chipset. I don't have any problems with the Nvidia card, just the ATI one.

#13 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

Sloth, you can't just go by watts on a video card -- not that the information given here to you has been wrong so far, but I want to give you a heads up about calculating your power needs. Watts is a general estimation. The real thing you want to look at is the amperage on the 12v rails, as acheleg said. Good quality power supplies will go up to 20amps on their 12v rails for high end cards. Volts x Amps = max watts via the 12v rail in question.

The one that you has goes up to 14/15amps -- which should be acceptable for at least starting the computer, which is why I don't think the power supply is the issue here. Just wanted to give you a heads up when you're trying to get an idea for what power supply to use.

I also think your problem is likely the video card, seeing as your old video card works fine. The BIOS should be able to pick up the video card and give video before the operating system starts, regardless of whether you're using ATI or nVidia cards. Seeing as you had a card installed before, and the video was working fine, using a different card should not conflict with any existing BIOS settings.

Just to be sure, I'd see if I could borrow another card. If not, I'm sure this is enough information to start an RMA with the manufacturer of your ATI card for a replacement. (I also highly recommend XFX cards for the future, as I've received outstanding support from them every time I've spoken to them.)

Edited by Suicide King, 30 March 2011 - 07:56 PM.

#14 SIothy

SIothy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the information Suicide King. And thanks everyone else for their help, I got this card from a friend so it could be that he damaged it. I'm gonna give it back to him and just buy a new card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users