Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange RAM problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sn00ze

sn00ze

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:59 PM

Very strange problem here, I have an older ECS 915P-A Rev 1.1 board with the full two sticks of 1 Gig memory DDRII. Everything works fine for an undetermined time and then when you least expect it a blue screen happens. Most of the time you have to remove one stick of ram and reboot, it will not reboot with both installed. I have already replaced both sticks of ram and the problem although it takes a long time to re appear it does eventually come back. I am using two sticks as I type this note and have had it running with one for several months since it would not reboot with both, I suspect the ram needed to be started from the slot one and then shut down to install the second stick, after that it boots normal and I have a fast machine again. The first time I noticed something wrong was with large downloads, I routinely download the UDK SDK monthly and they get larger by the month. It always finished the download but the archive or rar always had an error, it took forever to figure out the ram was responsible for the damaged downloads. I fully expect at some point for this too happen once again and I plan on using a newer dual core machine soon as I put more ram in that one. Since this machine is still normal in every way with the exception of that ram issue I would like to continue using it. Does anyone have any suggestions I might look into or try, I ran mem test and everything you can find and see nothing wrong. ECS does not sit at the top of the list for the finest boards but I have to say this one has been a good one for a small budget. I know all things die eventually and if changing the board is the only alternative I'll do that, but try and find a slot 775 that can use this memory because it is very new. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

hi,i would try clening the ram contacts using a fiberglass pencil if you cna get one ,when one is not avabile i use a white eraser,also make sure there isn't anything[dirt /dust] in the ram slot
pencil
http://www.rapidonline.com/1/1/9238-fibreglass-cleaning-pencil.html

Edited by caperjac, 28 March 2011 - 07:13 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 acheleg

acheleg

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:01 AM

the ram could be stresing out a weak memory controller. are you using dual-sided ram? perhaps 4 banks of ram stresses it out, and the memory controller is at fault. run memtest with one(each, one at a time) and also with both sticks installed, see if it doesnt just throw errors with both stics at the same time, without throwing errors with each stick one at a time. the problem is prolly in the controller, get a new mobo with ddr2 or ddr3- ddr2 is quite cheap, btw.

#4 sn00ze

sn00ze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:56 AM

I think you are probably right about the controller, that was one of the first suspects I had. Cleaning would do no good since I've had the ram out so many times, if contact is an issue I just don't think it can be cleaned any better. A new board is the answer and an upgrade to my new unused dual core machine with a 64/bit operating system is over due. Luckily that ASUS board in the new machine can take a 64 bit chip.

Edited by hamluis, 01 April 2011 - 12:46 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users