Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adding a SATA HDD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Joetech

Joetech

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:47 PM

Its been a while since I've put in a second HD in a Computer. Then I had IDE drive and had to make one a slave of the other etc. Now I have SATA drives. I did some research and it looks like I just plug in the second drive to the second SATA slot on the MB and turn everything back on. I any running XP Pro SP3. I plan to move 'My documents' to the new drive which I just do by making a switch in the properties of same. Could it be this easy? How this is a Windows computer, nothing ever seems this easy? Got to be more complicated than that. Right? Did I miss something?

Question: how will this effect the names of my drives? Right now they are B:3.5 floppy(just because I had one around when I built the computer)C: for the HD D: is the CD burner and E: is the DVD. Will the new drive become F:? Don't know that it makes any difference.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

"Did I miss something? "
Yes. You said plug the SATA cable in to slot 2 but you didnt mention plugging in a power lead.

Then the drive will need to be partitioned and formatted.
You do that under Cotrol Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk management.

Not certain about the drive lettering. That will make a difference if you play any games or run programs that require a disk to be in the tray. If the drive letters shuffle it will be looking for the cd on the wrong drive letter. Try it and see what happens. You can reassign the drive to F in disk management if need be

It really is that easy. Master/slave consideration and jumpers is gone with SATA drives
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:54 PM

moving the my documents folder to the new drive as the defalt location .requires a registry edit or i think this also will work haven't ried it myself ,but did do the regedit change a long while back
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/11/25/change-my-documents-folder-default-location-path-in-xp-and-vista/

Edited by caperjac, 28 March 2011 - 06:57 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 Joetech

Joetech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the input. Yes I know about the power, just forgot to mention it. thought it goes without saying. I assume my current HD is in slot 1 so I have no choice but SATA 2.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

The procedure in the link caperjac posted, will work, and is safer than messing around in the registry.
It's the same procedure I posted here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic381889.html/page__view__findpost__p__2150025
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Joetech

Joetech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:57 PM

Just physically installed the new HD. Plugged in the SATA to #2 on the MB. Plugged in the power etc. Restarted and got the message the 'new hardware' was found. Went to 'My Computer' and new HD isn't there. Still shows original HD is the same size. I looked at the BIOS (phoenix) and didn't see anything there to hang anything up. How do I get this to recognize the new HD?

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:33 AM

right click on my computer ,click manage /disk management /see if it shows there ,it needs to be formatted before it shows in my computer

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 acheleg

acheleg

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:03 AM

disk mamagement is where you need to go. you need to use disk management to "mount" the drive, oftentimes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users