Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Printer Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GeorgyPorgy12

GeorgyPorgy12

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

I have two computers at home, one is running Windows XP and the other is running Windows 98. I recently bought a new printer and I can print from the computer running XP just fine, but the printer driver is not compatible with Windows 98. If I connect my two computers via a wired (ethernet) network and connect the printer to the computer running Windows XP, can I send documents to the network printer from the computer running Windows 98? Or do I still need to install the printer driver on both computers before I can print? I really need to print a bunch of stuff from my old computer (the one running Windows 98). I would put the documents on a diskette or CD and print them from my other computer (the one running XP), but my other computer is a netbook and doesn't have a disk drive or CD drive. I would put the documents on a memory stick but the driver for my memory stick is also not compatible with Windows 98. I would e-mail the documents to myself and print them from my other computer, but they are to large to send via email, even when compressed. If I DID connect my two computers via a network, I could copy the documents from one computer to the other, but I still couldn't print them because they open using an older program that I don't have on my new computer and I don't have the installation disk to install it with. Anyway, I'm just wondering if my idea will my idea work?? If not, what should I do? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Bryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:56 PM

Hello Bryan and Welcome to the forum!

This is indeed a fickle that you are in.
Yes drivers need to be installed on both systems to print via the network.

Only thing I can think of right off is if we knew the name of the program that was used to create the docs originally we might be able to find something that can open them on the XP system.

You are really kind of stuck and dont have a lot of options at this point.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:24 PM

What is the make, model, and number of the printer you just bought?

Edited by Baltboy, 01 April 2011 - 12:25 PM.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 GeorgyPorgy12

GeorgyPorgy12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

What is the make, model, and number of the printer you just bought?

Hi, it is the Canon Pixma MP280

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:38 AM

I am afraid the only option you have is what Eyesee sugggested. What program are you using on the win98 computer?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users