Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Antivirus on netbook

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 jontron123

jontron123

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:25 PM

my little old samsung netbook has came down with the same redirect virus/or trojan/ or backdoor rootkit has somehow found its way from my PC onto my netbook. starts out simple redirects here and there to out of nowhere i have this Win 7 antivirus pops into my netbook as i restarted it. any suggestions before even safe mode will not even let me browse the forums?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:30 PM

Hello, can you try to boot in safe mode, but using the Administrator account (it will shop up on the screen where you need to choose an account in safe mode).

If you press alt-ctrl-del, does the task manager come up?

I will move this topic to a more appropriate forum.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 jontron123

jontron123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

its in safe mode as we speak i cannot use the internet othewrwise. the virus or w/e keeps blocking access. please do bare with me as im not used to windows 7.... especially the "starter" version. my pc is still running XP and my netbook is the Windows 7 starter. as for task manager it will not open up in normal mode. but will in safe mode. ill reboot and log on the admin

edit: there is no admin user on my netbook, i guess thats windows 7 and the only user is the admin(?) i could be wrong.

Edited by jontron123, 28 March 2011 - 03:59 PM.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,580 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:59 PM

If you can access the internet, download and run the following tool.

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
Be sure to download TDSSKiller.exe (v2.4.0.0) from Kaspersky's website and not TDSSKiller.zip which appears to be an older version 2.3.2.2 of the tool.
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
  • To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 jontron123

jontron123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:30 PM

ok here is the deal....i scanned found some rootkit. it rebooted and the problem got worse. i cant use the web in safe mode and im on my 3rd computer and i dont want to load up my usb drive here b/c that might infect this PC.
in safe mode that freaking fake scanner will block any web page i try to veiw now. i dont know what to do. its like my PC all over again

edit update: i used the samsung system restore and it seems to have gotten rid of the problem. i will be monitoring this throughout the day. (mainly for the first signs which is redirected webpages

Edited by jontron123, 28 March 2011 - 08:00 PM.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,580 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:30 AM

Okay, please keep me posted.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#7 jontron123

jontron123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

ok good news. now that my netbook problem has been resolved i have been able to hook up a working monitor for my original problems on my PC. ill be watching the other thread now . thanks in advance

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,580 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

Glad to hear that! If you need any other help with the Netbook, please let me know, otherwise I will close this topic.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#9 jontron123

jontron123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:27 PM

yup you can close this topic. should i continue with the scanning of my PC or should i just wait for someone to reply in the other thread?

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,580 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

I replied to your other topic.

I will now close this topic.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users