Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pavilion Elite m9400f

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Maco

Maco

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:46 PM

Does anybody knows if this desktop (Pavilion Elite m9400f)is compatible with Windows 7 Pro 64Bit?
It had Vista Home Premium on it & a compatability check said that it needed a complete new install, no upgrade.
So I went ahead & did it (Formatted C drive and left the Vista recovery partition in place (D)& almost at the very end of the installation when it is doing the registry part, it stops completely and says that it can't setup windows with the exixting hardware and shuts down.

Does not make sense at all. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:30 PM

What version of Win 7 are you trying to install...and what is the origin of the media you are using?

<<...a compatability check said that it needed a complete new install, no upgrade.>>

Are you referring to the Win 7 Upgrade Advisor ?

Why would you leave a HP Vista restore partition on the hard drive...when a clean install was indicated?

Louis

#3 Maco

Maco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:36 PM

Win 7 Pro Update version
Yes, Win 7 Upgrade Advisor
Left the Vista partition so as to try to come back if any problems.
A clean install was performed, C drive was formatted completely.
I did suggest to owner to wipe out the complete drive but he was reluctant to it

Edited by Maco, 28 March 2011 - 01:38 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

Well...since no details are provided re the media/source of this attempted move to Win 7...and I believe that HP systems have nonstandard partition structures...my guess would be that a clean install that wipes the hard drive completely...might be needed.

Just guessing :).

Louis

#5 Maco

Maco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:32 PM

THANKS Louis
That's what I suggested, so I am going to try to convince the person or at least try with another HD.
If I am able to solve the problem I'll post the solution here.

#6 Maco

Maco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:40 PM

Well FWIW, I have spent the whole morning trying to install Windows 7 & it did not work. I tried over 10 different scenarios. It is obvious that this PC is not Windows 7 compatible. It was always the same result: "Windows cannot configure PC to run with existing hardware"

Thanks for all that look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users