Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp userinit.exe wont initialize

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jefflevitan

jefflevitan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:34 PM

I reloaded my xp home softwware (2004 model) thru sp 1 and 2. As I went thru the process I checked the computer and it did work. With the last load of updates which included IE8 the computer started to return error messages on boot up. The most common one is that userinit.exe won't initalize. I can boot in safemode as the owner but Not the administrator. Trying to boot normally hangs...although sometimes it will show the desktop but functionality like run and search do not work.

I have run combofix. Nothing major found...deleted old version of norton. I have checked the registry and the userinit.exe command is in the right place. I have copied over the userinit.exe from the recovery partition as a post recommended I do.

At this point, I am lost. I was hoping that downloading SP3 would correct the problem but you can't update from safemode.

I would hate to have to start all over again.

Help..

Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:10 PM

Why did you decide...to reinstall the O/S?

What was wrong that dictated such?

Louis

#3 jefflevitan

jefflevitan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

It was my wife's computer and she got a virus that ground it to a halt. Could not get the various AV programs to fully clean it up although did eliminate many. Was told that the best way to end it was to reload the software.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:56 PM

System manufacturer and model?

FWIW: It used to formerly be thought that formatting a hard drive...eliminated any continued presence of malware. That's no longer true.

I see a number of instances where your error message is related to malware, so I will move this to a forum where the more knowledgeable can take a look :).

Louis

#5 jefflevitan

jefflevitan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:14 PM

Compaq Presario SR 1010. Vintage 2004 but doesn't have a lot of miles on it.
Will someone pick up the thread when you move it over?
Jeff

#6 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

hamluis,

Does formatting the hdd fail to remove malware only when the MBR [master boot record] is infected?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users