Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possibly a stupid question about an Xbox 360 :/

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ragnar Devonin

Ragnar Devonin

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:41 AM

Fair warning about the stupidity of the question. Also, wasn't sure if this belonged here (protection methods), networking, or gaming consoles.

Situation: My Xbox 360 is connected to/using the same router that a PC infected with malware (specifically a rogue antivirus, possibly others) is using/connected to.

Problem: The owner of the PC doesn't really listen to reason and refuses to disconnect/clean it. Also, the router itself belongs to him so I do not have much say in it. My friend has told me (yeah, I know...) that this virus infected PC could steal data from my 360 and also infect it.

Questions:
The virus is designed for a PC and can't infect my 360, correct?

And the likelyhood of someone creating a virus for a gaming console is slim to none due to the lack of ability for it to effectively spread? (Aside for maybe a proof of concept.)

The big question is can this PC intercept information my 360 sends to the router, or grab it as it goes through the router out to LIVE due to the virus?

And could it send this information back to the virus' creator, who could read/decode it and gain access to my account (thus the information within, like personal information or credit card iinfo?)

Finally... if my friend was just screwing with me because he knows I am paranoid, how many smacks upside the head is that worth? :/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:42 PM

Hello.

First of all: not stupid questions. :wink:

The virus is designed for a PC and can't infect my 360, correct?

Very, very likely correct. Unless it was specifically engineered to deliver a payload to a console, it would not be able to do so. Which leads us to your next question.

And the likelyhood of someone creating a virus for a gaming console is slim to none due to the lack of ability for it to effectively spread?

Correct and incorrect. The likelihood is slim to none, but primarily because of the number of possible targets is much smaller than that of PCs. Given that the goal of the modern malware author is almost always financially oriented, it's logical to go after the biggest possible mark base. Should an exploit be found in a gaming console, spreading would likely be quite feasible given the online capabilities of the modern console.

The big question is can this PC intercept information my 360 sends to the router, or grab it as it goes through the router out to LIVE due to the virus? And could it send this information back to the virus' creator, who could read/decode it and gain access to my account (thus the information within, like personal information or credit card iinfo?)

I'm not privy to the inner workings of Xbox LIVE networking protocol, but routers can be infected. IF there's an exploit in the LIVE protocol and an infection were written to take advantage of that, stealing information sent through the router is plausible, though unlikely due to the numbers. That's a big if though. . . such a thing is unheard of.

Finally... if my friend was just screwing with me because he knows I am paranoid, how many smacks upside the head is that worth?

Regarding your "friend", the first thing I'd ask him is why he's so eager to have his own identity compromised. He should probably also be aware that malware travels in packs, and an infected machine will often become more infected as time progresses. There are infections out there which will render a computer completely unusable, with the only solution being a complete format of the HDD and reinstallation of the OS.

If he still won't listen to reason. . . I'd look into purchasing your own router. They aren't that expensive and you shouldn't risk your own systems due to his stupidity.

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 28 March 2011 - 12:43 PM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 Ragnar Devonin

Ragnar Devonin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:17 PM

(If this posts twice, sorry. My phone is really hating on me today! Wish I had a smartphone.)

The owner of the PC and my friend are actually different people.

The former is my roommate (out of necessity more than anything.. money issues), and he also pays for the internet so I'm not sure what getting my own router would help with, nor do I know why he won't listen. He is just one of those people, and he says he doesn't do anything important on the PC so who cares if it is infected. I pointed out that his infection could harm others (part of a botnet, whatever) but he either doesn't care or doesn't believe me.

But my issues with my roommate are for another forum. :)

For the third part... Um, are you basically saying that there is a very low risk (unless Ixm unlucky enough to be repeatedly hit by lightning) of anything coming from, or going to, or in/on my console becoming compromised due to this infected PC (or infected router if it happens)?

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:06 PM

Hi.

I'm not going to say that there's absolutely no possibility of your information being compromised if you operate over an infected router; it's certainly within the realm of the possible. However the likelihood of that occurring is comparatively low, as such theft is unheard of at this point. What you do is up to you. Personally I wouldn't operate over an infected router, but that's just me.

Sorry for the confusion about your friend and roommate.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users