Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Philips dvd rw sdvd8820 drive efuses to read or write anything

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Leo3378

Leo3378

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:46 AM

Hi everyone, I am having problems with my notebooks DVD drive, as I stated in the topic title my Philips dvd rw sdvd8820 drive on my Dell Inspiron 1505 is not working, at all. It will not read or write anything. The last thing I was doing was trying to burn a DVD+R DL with ImgBurn and it seemed like it got stuck in the closing track phase so I aborted the burn. Ever since then my drive won't read anything and if I attempt to use ImgBurn to write something it gives me an error that states: Device Not Ready (Logical Unit is in the process of becoming ready).

I've tried a system restore to a couple days ago and no luck. I also have tried many other ideas that I found with a google search, the most recent attempts can be found at the following link: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/255031-phillips-dvd-rw-sdvd-8820-problem-on-inspiron-e1505/

Any help would be great as I'd love to get this working again and not have to purchase a new DVD burner. If I need to get a new drive are there any brands/models anyone would suggest to work with my current notebook? Should I go with an external USB drive or just get another slim DVD drive and replace it, and if I go with replacing the internal DVD drive are there different sizes between different notebooks (Just want to make sure I get the correct drive that will fit)?

Thanks in advanced for any and all help I will receive.

Edit: Running Windows XP SP3.

Edited by Leo3378, 28 March 2011 - 08:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:16 AM

A very worthwhile thing to check is whether the drive can boot from a bootable DVD. If it cannot, this tells you immediately the drive has an internal problem, and saves a lot of chasing your tail trying other stuff in Windows. In this case if cleaning the laser lens doesn't help, the drive has failed.

If it proves necessary to replace, I have been glad I got a USB DVD burner some time ago as I can use it on any computer. Originally I bought it since the laptop I had then used a combo CD burner which only read DVDs. Now I also have a budget netbook sans optical drive, so already having the USB drive immediately gives it DVD capability.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Leo3378

Leo3378
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:31 AM

I don't think I have any bootable CD/DVDs to boot from. If there is any other suggestions you or anyone have it'll be greatly appreciated.

Is there a brand you'd recommend for an external burner? Currently looking at a refurb Memorex, Samsung or Asus.

Edited by Leo3378, 28 March 2011 - 09:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users