Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Faulty Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tambyte

tambyte

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:58 PM

My mom has a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop bought in 05'. She recently bought a new compatible battery for it and noticed it kept telling her that the battery needed recalibration, which she did, but still everytime at boot up she'd get the message, but you could just press ESC and ignore, which is what i told her to do since i couldn't figure out the problem.

In any case, i don't know if it's related or not, now she's been getting intermittent "No bootable device found" errors and can't even boot. And sometimes she also gets a message that "Device in Modular Bay cannot be identified". If you keep trying to boot eventually the laptop will boot and go into Windows and will run all day without a problem, except that sometimes the cd drive doesn't work.

Even when the laptop gives the above errors you can get into the BIOS with no problem, but it doesn't show either of the drives.

I've done a couple hours of Googling and have found that many people have had this problem with the 2200, but have found no insight as to why.

My personal thought is maybe bad solder joint where these drives are connected to the board. I've heard others say maybe an IRQ conflict, but would that be just intermittent? Anyway, i'm going crazy. Anyone have any insight or suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:34 AM

Is this computer keeping proper date and time?

What is the boot order in the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:44 AM

As dc3 is leading to it sounds like the cmos battery has died and its not keeping the current BIOS settings.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users