Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Internet Suddenly Failed, Malware Suspected

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ferretvonweasel

ferretvonweasel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:50 PM

This morning my fiance booted up her laptop and was unable to get internet connectivity through our home wireless network (my pc and both of our netbooks are able to connect just fine). The laptop is running Windows Vista Home Premium (x64). I suspect the problem is some form of malware/virus hijacking her connection but have met zero success working on the problem.

Steps attempted so far:
Disabled/reenabled her wireless adapter (Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card).
Updated the drivers for the wireless adapter.
Disabled the wireless adapter and attempted to connect via cat-5 directly to the router (Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller to Linksys E2000).
Ran a scan of Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware (nothing found).
Flushed the DNS cache.

After several hours of research I've come to the conclusion that the connection is most likely being hijacked but have yet to find the culprit.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users