Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Device Manager & Network Card not working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 frosty12

frosty12

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:37 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running on Windows Vista SP2. A few days ago, I suddenly could not access the internet from that laptop. I checked the network connections and found that it could not detect the network, although I could still use my other laptop to access the internet. Thinking that it's a problem with the network card, I decided to check the Device Manager, only to find that it was not working.

I can access the device manager's main page, seeing the list of all devices. but I cannot do anything there. Whenever I select a device and attempt to view its properties, the device manager becomes unresponsive. It doesn't hang but just refuses to show me any useful information. Neither can I perform any action on the devices as well (disable etc.)

I have not encountered anything like this before and trawling the net doesnt seem to bring up any examples of people meeting this problem. Can anyone here help please?

Oh, by the way, I just want to add that I don't reckon it's a malware issue coz all other signs of the laptop are fine, like booting up, running and CPU activity on task manager.

Any help much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:19 PM

Did you try system restore?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 frosty12

frosty12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:25 PM

I did try a couple of old restore points, but the device manager did not work in any of them. Given that the device manager isn't something I check on very often, I don't know how far back to go as well. The restore points I tried were of different lengths, like a day, a week and a month.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:27 PM

Create new user with admin rights and see, if you have same problem.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 frosty12

frosty12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:18 AM

I've just tried it and it is the same. no access to internet, nor is device manager working.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:16 PM

Do you have Vista DVD?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 frosty12

frosty12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

yes, I do have it. I am leaving for a week-long conference though, so I wouldnt be able to do much from now. What do you recommend I do? I'll update you with the results in a week's time. many thanks!

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:21 PM

I suggest repair installation: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users