Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to remove aaa from add/remove

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stown

stown

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:47 PM

Hello all. I'd like to start by saying I'm a big fan of this site, it has been helpful many times in the past.
A little bit of background on me. I have been running a small on call/on site computer repair service for a few years and have some CompTia certs. I am a Moderator for a forum at a well respected and large fps game site, so i do truly understand what you guys deal with and appreciate all the time and effort.

This is the first thing I've run across that I have failed to fix/remove :(

Ok on to my issue. I did get a version of the '11 security tools virus (kids get on this pc sometimes lol)
I was able to remove it and all the BHO's that went with it using rkill/combofix, HijackThis and Malwarebytes. But one thing that remains in my cp. It calls itself aaa and uses the java icon (publisher bbb comments ccc). I have hit a wall trying to figure out what this exactly is. I have nothing "going wrong" on this pc, but it still bothers me and can't be good.
When i try to uninstall it simply says it can't.
I have tried searching these forums and doing what another thread suggested, which is pretty much the same things i did to rid myself of the virus in the first place, but the person infected never responded and the thing remains.
So I am asking for some help on this.

My stats;
win xp pro.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ | Socket AM2 | 3013/201mhz
FireFox 3.6.16
Avira AV

Many thanks for your time.

Edited by stown, 27 March 2011 - 08:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,070 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:16 AM

If Add/Remove Programs is showing an entry but the program/folder has been removed, then its likely an orphaned entry in the Windows registy. Orphaned entries can be removed by going the registry but a much safer and easier way to do this is to download and use a third party program like MyUninstaller or RevoUninstaller. After launching the program, right-click on the entry and choose the option to "Delete the selected entry".

To fix manually in the registry, refer to:CAUTION: This step involves making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes. If you are not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own. Improper changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable. ERUNT is an excellent free tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 stown

stown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:01 PM

Thank you Quietman7. It seems that after using My Uninstaller and doing a little looking around in the hive, it turns out that it was an orphaned entry after all.
My first time seeing this happen. Oddly Ccleaner's uninstall did give me the option to remove it, but threw up a rather scary screen and made me stop and think about it.

Cheers to a fellow Virginian. I'm in the Northern Neck area. /thread

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,070 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:07 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 flybaron

flybaron

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

I tried this when I got this "aaa Java" file and it worked.

Open "Control Panel." There open "Java," the Java Control Panel. Under the "General" tab, go to the "Temporary Internet Files" section at the bottom and click on "View." This opens the "Java Cache Viewer." Go to "Applications" in the drop-down box at the upper left and open it. The "aaa" file appeared there when I did it. Delete the "aaa" file by highlighting it and clicking "X". Good luck.

#6 stown

stown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:07 PM

Umm thanks but I had already fixed the issue. I did try this though and it didn't show up in that list.

#7 island1999

island1999

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

this is how I removed aaa from control panel. I removed all files and folders for java from my computer, then you can remove aaa from control panel. then reinstall java.

#8 island1999

island1999

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

the above was done after first running super anti spyware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users