Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Random Whirring noise

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:30 PM

Hello
Well my Dell Optiplex is now 5 years old. Warranty ran out March 24. So apparently it knows this because I have started to notice an odd whirring sound every now and then. Sound is coming from inside the case. No DVD or CD discs are in the optical drives.I am thinking maybe hard drive bearings? Only lasts a few seconds and seems to be at random times. No screen flicker or other symptoms occur when this happens.I have not shut down since noticing so I do not know what fun may await on start-up.Knowing that all electronics and spinning things do not like heat I have put a small fan behind the case. I figured it can't hurt.
I do not do use this for gaming or such. Mostly word and Office applications.
I use this for my small business so I cannot be without it. I am in the process of replacing the computer and should have one ordered within the next couple of days.
If anyone thinks this is the hard drive any thoughts about how long I may have before it quits?
If not the HD could this be a fan going bad?
Any suggestions on what to check is most appreciated
I always replace the entire system every 4-6 years. I apologize if this is a stupid question but if I brought this to a local computer shop before the HD dies could they just replace the HD and transfer all data to a new one?
As always input from the community is most welcome.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:12 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

The whirring noise you hear can also be caused by a cooling fan.

I suggest you open the computer case and try to locate the source of the noise for peace of mind.

You may have dust embedded in one of the cooling fans, or one of them is showing its age and needs to be replaced.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:30 PM

Thanks for the Reply MRBruce1959
I do hope it is just a fan issue. An external fan blowing through the back for a few days until the new system is ready will not be an inconvenience.
I will not be as paranoid about working on this once the data is transferred and I am up and running. It will become a family computer
I am leaning toward going with a RAID set up plus off site back up on the new system.
Have a quote from Dell. The business div. of Staples wants to quote also. Unfortunately it's tax time so the expenses just seem to be falling from the sky.
Oh well,need to keep things in perspective. Many people across the globe have a lot worse things happening.
Thanks again and Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#4 Guest_trizicus_*

Guest_trizicus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:03 PM

If the sound is loud, it is most likely a fan bearing. Hard drive bearings are quite durable and not as loud until the very end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users