Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can an infected laptop infect my pc in same room

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Mad_Muppet

Mad_Muppet

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

A friend wants to bring their infected laptop and use my pc to research the infection via Google etc.

My desk top computer is definitley 'wired' to the router. I don't know if i have 'wireless' enabled. The wireless light on the hub is lit up, however, i presume that is because of the hub phone that i use.

First question is a general one, can an infected laptop infect a desk top computer if it is next to it. I haven't a clue how laptops and wireless hubs or desk top pc's work.

Do laptops in the open air work in the same way as radio's do, as in plucking out of thin air in receiving and sending signals/data?. Will it automatically choose to use/hijack my router/hub if it is nearby in preference to thin air? If so back to my first question can in infect my router/hub/computer?

Many sincere thanks in advance of replies and apologies for being so uneducated on how computers work.

Edited by Mad_Muppet, 27 March 2011 - 06:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users