Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the best driver updater for Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kryan2424

kryan2424

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:53 PM

I reformat my PC and have just installed Windows 7. I also need to install a good driver updater but I don't know which one to use. I'm planning to use Driver Detective but my friend told me to download Atanium PC driver updater at http://www.ataniumsoftware.com/products/pc-driver-updater I haven't tried any of the two yet. Which one should I use? Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

NEVER use a "driver updater".

1) Always go to the websites of the various hardware manufacturers and download and install their drivers.
2) Never update drivers just because there is a newer version. Only update drivers if there is a specific need or feature.

#3 SWEET-MACK

SWEET-MACK

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:07 PM

Thank you very much for the useful information about driver updates. Drivers are always a source of frustration for me. T. :busy:

Edited by SWEET-MACK, 08 April 2011 - 05:08 PM.

#4 kryan2424

kryan2424
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:23 AM

I'm just planning to have a software that will automatically update all my drivers. Well, thanks for that info. :)

Edited by kryan2424, 25 April 2011 - 07:24 AM.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:46 AM

NEVER use a "driver updater".

1) Always go to the websites of the various hardware manufacturers and download and install their drivers.
2) Never update drivers just because there is a newer version. Only update drivers if there is a specific need or feature.

+1
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:54 AM

I'll just add that driver updaters foster two illusions on unknowing users:

a. That drivers need constant updating. Nothing is further from the truth. Drivers need to be updated only when a user is having problems with the current installed drivers...or newer drivers provide additional functionality or overcome a bug in former drivers.

b. That newer drivers are always best for the hardware items. Drivers that work are what is desired, not necessarily the newest drivers, which may present compatibility problems, particularly if the drivers are written for the newest hardware and the user has anything but those particular hardware items.

Drivers are not like Windows. Windows requires constant updating, due to security vulnerabilities developing every day, thanks to the efforts of those misanthropes who develop malware.

A working driver is a good driver, no need to fool with it until the hardware item develops a problem functioning properly.

Louis

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:05 PM

Excellent advice, Louis. :)

Edited by keyboardNinja, 25 April 2011 - 03:05 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#8 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for the reminder. Old Vid card working fine with old driver :)..
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

I'm late sorry. I would never have a auto update anything on my computer. For sure not a auto driver updater program.

#10 The Sh-a-dow

The Sh-a-dow

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:28 AM

If it aint broke.. You know the rest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users