Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent Lockups Of XP OS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ToborTheGreat

ToborTheGreat

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:51 PM

Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with frequent lockups of my pc, requiring manual shutdowns? The use of alt+ctrl+del is almost never an option, because everything freezes up, including that. Even if I am able to initiate a proper shutdown, it usually locks up before it actually follows through. My OS seems to be deeply conflicted, such that the simplest of tasks sometimes triggers lockup. I would really like to get at the source of the problem, perform whatever diagnostics, and resolve it.

I reformatted the boot drive back in January this year, and have been plagued with a wobbly operating system ever since, although I used the prescribed Hewlett-Packard System Recovery discs (all 9). In fact, I reformatted twice---identical result. Of course, Microsoft is no help now, since they are preparing to ditch XP in favor of Windows 7, and are taking no questions.

I have XP Media Center Edition, version 2002.  Service Pack 3, and all my Windows updates are current.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:11 PM

I would always start with hard drive diagnostic...anytime I consider reinstalling or installing Windows on a drive that is not new.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

Louis

#3 ToborTheGreat

ToborTheGreat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:57 PM

I have had beaucoups problems since posting this query, a percentage of which have been computer related, so I haven't been able to get back to it or do anything else much on Internet lately. Thanks for the response, Louis. Since I haven't been back in so long, I don't expect you to see this, but am posting anyway.

I did pursue the Computer/Properties/Tools/Error-checking option yesterday. However, since I had other things to attend to and wasn't at the pc when the last of the five checks completed, the computer apparently restarted itself. So I wasn't able to see the result of the lengthy process, as I suspected would happen. If there was a report, it could be located in a log somewhere on the hard drive, but I am at a loss as to how to access it. Since I got no error messages or alerts after the reboot, I assume that there are no problems with my computer's hard drive. Nothing seems to have changed as far as the OS quirks are concerned, however.

I will say that the OS has been on a generally upward curve as far as reliability is concerned, though the progress has been excruciatingly slow since that reformat in January. Its condition immediately after that was appalling; at least I now get some use out of the pc.

Edited by ToborTheGreat, 29 April 2011 - 12:58 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:07 PM

Well...if that hard drive is original equipment, it's probably time to replace it. Drives are generally warranted for 3 years max, many last longer with no problems...but since diagnostics are available, why not check the status?

I would run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic tests on it.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#5 ToborTheGreat

ToborTheGreat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:28 AM

The hard drive is original equipment, alright. It was OK until contracting a virus last November. Then the reformat made it extremely unstable. As far as the diagnostic test I used is concerned, I was referred to it via a recommendation from one of the weblinks you provided. This was not appropriate? The hard drive itself is a Samsung SV1204H. The device manager is telling me that it is "working properly", but I realize the limitations of such an analysis. One trouble with replacement is that parallel ATAs, such as what my pc uses internally, are seemingly getting scarce, at least at the local level. The trend is toward SATA. As far as I know, I can't use SATA in my computer.

I downloaded the Samsung HUTIL diagnostic utility, but am at a loss as far as using it. Every time I unzip it, I get the following error message: "zg.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." The program itself, or what's left, is unrecognizeable; I don't know what would open it. The about.com description says that it "is available as an ISO image for burning to a CD (...or bootable floppy disk). I can see the advantage of making the testing application independent of Windows, but don't see how I can apply it. I recently had problems trying to create a startup floppy, and getting it to work. As I recall, I kept getting "invalid" error messages, or somesuch, the more so when I initialized the discs, which I thought would cure the problem. Anyway, if the program is unrecognizeable in its present form, what would make it any less so when burned to a disc?

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:22 AM

Once burned to a disk as an .iso, do not extract it, restart the PC with the disk in the optical drive. The PC will then run from the CD instead of the hard drive. Follow the on screen instructions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users