Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One antivirus Home Edition that works on Servers: Vipre from GFI software

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

Hey all,
I just figured I'd let you know this. For anybody here who owns a server, either for live hosting, development, testing, or anything, and you don't want to pay for a corporate edition of your antivirus (which usually includes paying for a bunch of licenses that go unused since earlier generations won't change solutions), GFI has brought you to safety with their allowance of their Vipre Home Edition to work on a server (something I believe every vender should be doing, since not every network, even in the corporate world, has everything micromanaged). The only difference (according to Nick Hallin of GFI,), is that the enterprise editions include builtin templates for server recommended exclusions, but if your network is small enough, and all users are allowed to manage their own updates, patches, and antivirus updates, don't bother with that, and set up the exclusions yourself. Much cheaper. By the way, has anyone here ever used Vipre? I have a demo on my server at home, and I'm thinking of buying two licenses, one for my laptop as well. But is it worth prematurely terminating my NOD32 licenses in favor of GFI? Especially because it's partly that I'm a little disappointed in Eset for not keeping their reputation of being known as being one of the most accessible antivirus solutions for blind folken to use? But the bigger reason is that they require the lowest corporate license for servers, which is five users, and I really don't want that since I'd be paying for unused licenses since my family doesn't want to change antivirus solutions. What do you guys think, let my two eset licenses on two different computers, with termination in two different years run out and deal with Vipre on the server, in essence, dealing with two antivirus companies for a time, or completely cancel both eset licenses and give Vipre to both my laptop and server in one shot so that I don't have to add another license later? The second Eset license was added later because I wanted it on my older desktop computer, which is being turned over to my parents, and I'm letting them choose AV themselves. Thanks for any feedback.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users