Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New reinstall of ME. Need to know what to load next to update it.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:06 AM

I am going to have to reload Win ME onto an old machine (its all I have to run it with) but I'm fearful of going on-line with it (should I ever have to, I have better computers for that) because I know how bad things can be without a firewall and proper system updates.

My questions are:

1. Is there some huge MS download that I can install to the ME once its installed to get it up to date?

2. Is there a better (free) low resource firewall installation I can use to go on line? Its not a fast system at all. (800 MHz, 370~ MB Ram)

Thanks

Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:32 AM

Very retro! At least there is an advantage in that the vast majority of malware currently in existence will be based around exploits that exist in the NT codebase, not the 98/ME code. I always used the Free Outpost Ver 1.0 firewall for Win98 on low spec systems, I never actually ran ME but Outpost would suit it OK. It can still be found on download sites that should be OK, but I can't vouch for them.

You should install Internet Explorer 6 SP1:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=1E1550CB-5E5D-48F5-B02B-20B602228DE6

and there is a security rollup:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889669#2

I find suggestions from up to last year that with IE6 SP1 installed, ME can still receive the available updates from Microsoft Update, but I can't say if this is correct without an ME installation to try. Of course even the most recent updates will be quite old.

A Google search also brings up some claims of people having assembled unofficial service packs for ME, but again, I cannot vouch for these at all.

Edited by Platypus, 27 March 2011 - 07:36 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:59 AM

There are no service packs/M$ updates for WinME as the later operating systems have. I never had a firewall or malware checker as mensioned those only work on later systems. I did use Uninstall Manager 4.3 which tells you what additional files have been added since the last scan. You scan do search on MajorGeeks they have 3rd party updates for WinME. I never had any problems surfing. As Platypus says you can install IE6 SP1. :wink:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for the advise.

I tried to load XP onto the computer thinking it would solve all my problems, but now I know MS doesn't like you doing that sort of thing so I've got about 12 days left until it will stop due to not being activated.

So..to keep the old desktop running I will have to use its Compaq restore CDs which will really set me back as far as any ME updates, hot fixes, etc. I mean this is an OLD machine.

The unofficial service packs mentioned all seemed to be VERY unofficial, with many of them seemingly never fully developed.

I'm sure I can get it running (with updates) again with some more research, but I was hoping others would have already solved this problem by now. Most likely they wanted to just put their ME experiences out of mind and forget about them completely..I know I did.

Brian

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:42 PM

Well if your thinking of restoring it back the WinME that could be another problem. Did you install WinXP on the original FAT32 drive or did you format it NTFS?

If the latter then I would say the restore disk won't do anything as it won't recognise NTFS. So unless you have or can borrow a WinME CD then you are stuffed. How come you installed WinXP without the CD-Key, did you just want to try it out? A restore disk won't do a reinstall it check if the WinME has a valid key and just replace missing or damaged files. I do stand corrected if I'm wrong.

I don't go by M$ minimum spec for XP as that sucks, 233MHZ and 128KB RAM. Obviously you drive will need to be big enough between 20-40GB would be ok. You need at least 500MB of RAM else you will be making a coffee will you're waiting for things to happen. Your 370MB will be a touch slow. Your processor needs to be 500MHz plus, your 800MHz should be ok. :wink:

Keith

#6 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:31 PM

Well if your thinking of restoring it back the WinME that could be another problem. Did you install WinXP on the original FAT32 drive or did you format it NTFS?

If the latter then I would say the restore disk won't do anything as it won't recognise NTFS. So unless you have or can borrow a WinME CD then you are stuffed. How come you installed WinXP without the CD-Key, did you just want to try it out? A restore disk won't do a reinstall it check if the WinME has a valid key and just replace missing or damaged files. I do stand corrected if I'm wrong.

I don't go by M$ minimum spec for XP as that sucks, 233MHZ and 128KB RAM. Obviously you drive will need to be big enough between 20-40GB would be ok. You need at least 500MB of RAM else you will be making a coffee will you're waiting for things to happen. Your 370MB will be a touch slow. Your processor needs to be 500MHz plus, your 800MHz should be ok. :wink:

As I've never had to do a full blown reinstall, I thought the XP CD from my deceased notebook would work. Yeah, now I know better.

The XP loaded on the old ME machine but the days are ticking down until I have to activate it, which I don't think will happen.

What I did was copy the contents of the old ME hard drive contents to a portable drive....though probably only a copy and not a useful restorative backup, then put the XP CD that came with my (dead) notebook in the formerly ME machine....then it loaded XP...and its running now.

As I now have another computer to use daily, what do I have to do to at least restore ME to the old desktop computer that it came installed upon. (A 5008US Compaq)

Thanks

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

How to uninstall Windows XP and revert to a previous operating system:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303661/EN-US

If you are fortunate and the XP installation saved the Undo data, you may be able to go back to ME this way.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:51 AM

As I've never had to do a full blown reinstall, I thought the XP CD from my deceased notebook would work. Yeah, now I know better.

That would have worked if you hadn't lost/misplaced the CD-Key to the WinXP disc. If your notebook is totally defuncted then you retrieve the old CD Key of it.

As I said you either buy another WinME CD if you're happy with it or buy a WinXP CD with the CD key. :wink:

Keith

#9 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:43 PM

That would have worked if you hadn't lost/misplaced the CD-Key to the WinXP disc. If your notebook is totally defuncted then you retrieve the old CD Key of it.

As I said you either buy another WinME CD if you're happy with it or buy a WinXP CD with the CD key. :wink:

I never lost the key for the XP disk. I just assumed that from what I read, the activation would fail as it was being activated on another computer.

Are you saying the key would work for the activation?

#10 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:57 PM

The HDD on the previously 'ME run' machine shows as 32.5 GB NTFS. I don't recall selecting which format to choose.

I also do not see the option to uninstall XP Installation in the Settings Add/Remove option.

#11 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:17 PM

I thought the XP CD from my deceased notebook would work.

Are you saying the key would work for the activation?

Well I take it as if your notebook is deceased/dead/not used then you can use the same CD Key. Its just like fitting a new hard drive you reinstall the original WinXP again and use the original CD Key. I've formatted mine and rebuilt it may times with the same CD Key.

The HDD on the previously 'ME run' machine shows as 32.5 GB NTFS. I don't recall selecting which format to choose.

I also do not see the option to uninstall XP Installation in the Settings Add/Remove option.

Generally when you bootup of the WinXP CD and go for a new install it checks the drive format if its the older FAT32 (WinME) it will give you an option to install on that or format the drive NTFS and install on that.

The uninstall option in Add/Remove only shows if you upgraded from a previous Windows version. :wink:

Keith

#12 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:42 PM

[/quote]
Well I take it as if your notebook is deceased/dead/not used then you can use the same CD Key. Its just like fitting a new hard drive you reinstall the original WinXP again and use the original CD Key. I've formatted mine and rebuilt it may times with the same CD Key.
[/quote]

As I understand things, A new activation key is required and it would be based upon some hash using the devices attached to the notebook which the XP CD came with. If you change too many devices it notices such and assumes it is probably being installed onto another computer and fails to generate a new authorization code.

#13 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:10 PM

New Information:

I failed to notice that on the previously ME powered computer there is a C: drive (32 GB NTFS) and also a D: drive (about 3 GB FAT32 called SYSTEM_SAV). I Think this is the info that the Recovery Disk uses to Restore ME.

I think this might allow me to reinstall ME to the computer.

Sorry that I hadn't noticed that before now. Duh.

#14 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:07 PM

Yes if you replace to many devices then WinXP may need reactivating. This was to stop users copying an image of one hard drive to another so they could get another computer up and running.

As I've said I've formatted my WinXP three times over the past 18 months and I used the same CD Key. The activation is actually two parts. You activate it to get kit running then there is an additional activation at Microsoft where you fill in your name, address, email etc

So have you tried to restore WinME using the restore disk? :wink:

Keith

#15 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:38 PM

So have you tried to restore WinME using the restore disk?

Nope. As the only running computer I have now is the old desktop running the XP (12 days left), I'm going to wait until my new notebook gets running. Then put the ME back on the desktop it came with when the countdown gets to 2 days I guess. I like XP a lot more than ME, but who doesn't?

Does this mean that I will always be able to install XP on another machine for 30 days until it requires activation?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users