Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Found New Hardware (modem) Repeats Until Full

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 threej

threej

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:19 AM

Hi - I hope someone can help
Our E-machine running windows xp is one year old. All of a sudden, it began "finding new hardware" - the modem which was not new and worked fine until now. It keeps finding this new hardware and reloads it up to 60 times until it has a serious error. I tried deleting all the modems and it does the same thing. I cannot shut down anymore - it continues to restart and finds the hardware again and again. HELP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:31 AM

The modem may have failed. Have you tried removing it from the coputer? Do you have antivirus and antispyware installed and up to date? It could be malware trying to phone out.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 threej

threej
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:59 PM

I ran a virus scan and nothing was found. I deleted the modem(s) using add/delete hardware and then reintalled it. All went well - even connected to the internet fine, but I thought I'd shut down and restart just to make sure all was fixed and wham! there it was again on start-up "found new hardware and loaded it 57 times. HELP

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:00 AM

Have you run antispyware? I recommend you start with the following.

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition

When you have run these report back and let use know the results.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users