News.com 2005 Year in Review: Net ThreatsBagle virus makes a return
The mass-mailing virus is starting to spread worldwide, antivirus firms warn.
January 27, 2005Feds to fight the zombies
FTC plans to tell Internet service providers to take stronger action against spam infiltrators.
May 23, 2005Mytob e-mail worm proliferating quickly
The mass-mailing varmint makes up in numbers what it lacks in heft, security watchers say.
March 29, 2005Microsoft meets the hackers
special report In the name of education, the software giant invites security researchers to infiltrate Windows systems.
June 16, 2005Hacking for dollars
These days, attackers are motivated more by money than the desire to write disruptive worms like Sasser.
July 6, 2005A safe browser? No longer in the lexicon
perspective CERT security analyst Art Manion warns that all Web browsers now face similar threats--and some even share similar design features.
July 7, 2005ISPs versus the zombies
If providers don't pitch in against the threat, customers might defect--and the health of the Net itself could suffer.
July 19, 2005Windows worms knocking out computers
Network worms are shutting down computers running Windows 2000, security experts warn.
August 16, 2005Symantec: Mozilla browsers more vulnerable than IE
But the security specialist also finds that Microsoft's browser is the only one widely exploited by hackers today.
September 19, 2005Sony's rootkit fiasco
Storm over the record label's antipiracy software raises questions about who owns the desktop and what exactly a rootkit is.
November 21, 2005Clock's ticking on new Sober onslaught
Mass-mailing worm is programmed to download new instructions in January, which could indicate a new outbreak.
December 7, 2005Behind the headlines
* Sober worm spreads like wildfire
* More Bagle, Mytob offshoots wriggle free
* Cisco hits back at flaw researcher
* Hackers rally behind Cisco flaw finder
* Microsoft wants to meet more hackers
* IE flaw opens door to infection on sight
* Watch out for worm wars
* Arrests made in probe of worm that hit ABC, others
* Zotob worm linked to credit card fraud ring
* Attack code published for Firefox flaw
* Dutch police nab suspected 'bot herders'
* Experts: Microsoft-Yahoo alliance is food for IM worms
* 'Bot herders' may have controlled 1.5 million PCs
* Microsoft takes on spam zombies
* Sober worm offshoot trades on Paris Hilton, FBI
* Latest Sober threatens e-mail gateways
* Sober worm stalls MSN, Hotmail
* New IM worm chats with intended victims