Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Radeon HD 5870

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Peregrina

Peregrina

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:15 PM

I have an Asus G73JH Laptop with a Radeon HD 5870, 6GBs of Ram, Win7, Intel i7QM @ 1.74gz.

I've been experienced vertical/horizontal grey and now orange lines for the last month.

Google only bring ups threads about a year old about that explain the issue connected to the 5xxx series.

Most say that a driver and catalyst update should fix the problem, my drivers are all still up to date and so is my catalyst. Any ideas?

Edited by Peregrina, 26 March 2011 - 10:16 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:39 PM

Could be a failure in the GPU, perhaps due to overheating.

In some cases, lines on a screen can be caused by sub-standard solder, between the contacts of the GPU and the circuit board of the video card, breaking due to constant heating/cooling. This happens quite frequently with xbox 360s, commonly known as a red ring of death, but also in laptops commonly with their onboard GPU.

Is your video card mounted on-board, or is it removable through an internal PCI slot?

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:37 PM

Same issue in Safe Mode?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 Peregrina

Peregrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:37 AM

Same issue in Safe Mode?

I've never experienced the lines in safe mode because I've never run a game in safe mode. I only get the lines while playing a game, doesn't seem to matter which one.

Edited by Peregrina, 27 March 2011 - 12:38 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Peregrina

Peregrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:47 AM

Could be a failure in the GPU, perhaps due to overheating.

Is your video card mounted on-board, or is it removable through an internal PCI slot?

I would assume a 5870 is removable via an internal PCI slot.

edit: After a bit of googling, I believe it is.

Edited by Peregrina, 27 March 2011 - 12:48 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:02 AM

Just to be sure, I'd try removing the video card and re-installing it. In laptops memory sometimes comes loose enough to cause problems. I've seen a few cases where re-seating (reinstalling) the memory does fix problems. In your case, try re-seating the video card just so we know the connection is good.

I'm not sure if your motherboard supports onboard video, but try removing the card from the computer and running without it. If your motherboard supports onboard video, you should still get video. (And if there are no lines, we know the problem is the video card itself)

If the motherboard does not have onboard video, you'll need to try testing it by finding a spare PCI card for your laptop. You might be able to ask a local PC shop if they have a test video card for a laptop PCI slot, since they aren't as common as onboard video. If they do have one, the cost to perform a simple test should be minimal -- all they have to do is plug in their test card and see if the problem is still there. If the problem does not happen with the test video card, we know that your video card is the problem.

Lets see if these methods produce any results to narrow things down.

#7 Peregrina

Peregrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:19 AM

Just to be sure, I'd try removing the video card and re-installing it. In laptops memory sometimes comes loose enough to cause problems. I've seen a few cases where re-seating (reinstalling) the memory does fix problems. In your case, try re-seating the video card just so we know the connection is good.

I'm not sure if your motherboard supports onboard video, but try removing the card from the computer and running without it. If your motherboard supports onboard video, you should still get video. (And if there are no lines, we know the problem is the video card itself)

If the motherboard does not have onboard video, you'll need to try testing it by finding a spare PCI card for your laptop. You might be able to ask a local PC shop if they have a test video card for a laptop PCI slot, since they aren't as common as onboard video. If they do have one, the cost to perform a simple test should be minimal -- all they have to do is plug in their test card and see if the problem is still there. If the problem does not happen with the test video card, we know that your video card is the problem.

Lets see if these methods produce any results to narrow things down.

considering this could void my warrenty, and it's only 3 months old, I'm not removing any hardware (On top of that I have no experience working with laptops).

I already know the video card is the problem, I mentioned this is a know issue with the 5xxx series.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI-Grey-Screen-Fix-5870,9549.html

Edited by Peregrina, 27 March 2011 - 02:23 AM.

Posted Image

#8 Peregrina

Peregrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:26 AM

I should add that my catalyst was out of date, but still updated past the version that is described as the remedy. I also experienced some purple lines a few minutes ago even after updating to the most current version.
Posted Image

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:26 AM

Laptops don't have removable video cards.
They have on-board video chips.

Since the laptop is only 3 months old, we can't really monkey around too much.
Your best option is to call laptop's manufacturer and take advantage of your warranty.
It shouldn't be happening to almost new computer.

Since the issue happens only while playing games, I suspect your laptop is overheating.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#10 Peregrina

Peregrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:46 PM

Since the issue happens only while playing games, I suspect your laptop is overheating.

I would like to assume that as well but my laptop is always cool to the touch, it only gets a bit warm where the video card is located. I have a friend with an HP laptop with a 5850 that has less ventilation and runs extremely hot and hasn't experienced any of the errors I'm getting. Mine can happen within 10 minutes of play or 3 hours, it seems random. You would think an over heating issue would be somewhat consistent?

take a look at the ventilation on this notebook, it's much better than an average notebook;
http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=8je5Ot4HBnKOdT81

Since the laptop is only 3 months old, we can't really monkey around too much.
Your best option is to call laptop's manufacturer and take advantage of your warranty.
It shouldn't be happening to almost new computer.

This is what I'd like to do, but I start schooling in animation tomorrow which requires me to have my laptop 24/7 so I'm in a bit of a bind and can't afford to send it off.

Edited by Peregrina, 27 March 2011 - 01:51 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

I understand your concern, but if you're having issue after 3 months of usage, what's going to break after 6 months, or even worse, when your warranty is up?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:55 PM

Laptops don't have removable video cards.
They have on-board video chips.

Most laptops have onboard GPU support. There are some, very rarely, that have small PCI cards. Alienware sometimes has them, but they aren't particularly common. I have not seen them in quite some time, but they do exist -- somewhere out there.

http://weelaptops.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/gateway-laptop-graphics-card-300x274.jpg (example)

This is what I'd like to do, but I start schooling in animation tomorrow which requires me to have my laptop 24/7 so I'm in a bit of a bind and can't afford to send it off.

The only other 'possible' quick fix, would be to have a computer repair shop reflow the solder on your GPU in hopes to fix the problem.

I would still recommend Broni's suggestion and go through the manufacturer, as I believe this is the best solution in the long term.

Edited by Suicide King, 27 March 2011 - 10:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users