Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu newbie question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:51 PM

So after some long and difficult trouble clearning Windows Vista off of an older 160gb SATA drive, I was finally able to move the boot option over to the newer 500gb SATA Windows 7. However when I went to install Ubuntu 10.10 on the older 160gb drive it installed but then when I restarted and tried to boot to it, the computer only gave the option to boot to Windows 7.

I'm using EasyBCD to alter the boot so, I figured I'd go and add it to it but when I booted into Windows 7, I was unable to access the older drive or specify the drive letter in order to point to Ubuntu.

So Im re-trying the installation figuring it must be the way I'm trying to install it but I'm unsure as to how. I've already whiped the 160gb drive clean and awaiting further instructions from my new linux overlords. ...heh

Right now I'm looking at the "Allocate Drive Space" window

/dev/sda
free space 160041 mb
/dev/sdc
/dev/sdc1 ntfs 500105mb

What must I do to be able to start up the PC, and be able to choose to boot from Windows 7 or Ubuntu 10.10?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crazy49er

Crazy49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:22 PM

Well I managed to find a "how-to" online Here and I managed to install Ubuntu to my 160gb hard drive and I used the web page information to set up the EasyBCD using Linux/BSD GRUB 2 and added it to the boot.

I was able to restart the PC and I saw Ubuntu (renamed it from NeoSmart Linux) However I have a couple issues. When I boot to the drive it complains that it is missing some /lib file but it then boots anyway. However after about 20 minutes of use it froze and showed the Ubuntu screen with the orange dots.

And I'm still unable to see the 2nd drive or attach a drive letter to it so I can access it via Windows 7. I can see the drive as 2 partitions 130ish and 6-7ish gb sections but I'm unable to do anything with them via Windows.

I could be doing something wrong.

EasyBCD Code:

Default: Microsoft Windows 7
Timeout: 10 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Microsoft Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Ubuntu
BCD ID: {b4824f82-5814-11e0-afc4-0018f373d99b}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub1.mbr

Many Thanks for any help you can give.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:35 PM

We would really need to know what the missing /lib file is named to be able to start narrowing the problem down. If it goes by too fast, you should be able to comb through the system log to find it (Linux logs pretty much everything, especially errors.) Log files are located in the /var/log directory.

As for accessing a Linux partition from within Windows, a little work is needed. Microsoft has no motivation to add support for any filesystem other than theirs (after all, it would only make it easier for people to switch!) If you formatted your new Linux drive with EXT2 or EXT3 (older and not the default anymore) then you can use EXT2 IFS for Windows to add support for EXT2 drives to Windows (officially, EXT3 is not supported but you should be able to get read-only access to EXT3 using this.)

If you formatted the drive with EXT4, which is the default setting, then you could try using DiskInternals Linux Reader. It's not free (it does have a trial) but it get great reviews for reading EXT2/3/4 filesystems flawlessly.

Edited by Andrew, 26 March 2011 - 11:36 PM.

#4 Crazy49er

Crazy49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:03 PM

I wasn't able to find it in the log files, I searched through almost every single one but with no luck.

However I just broke down and took a photo for reference.

modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/modules.de no
such file or directory

modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/modules.de no
such file or directory

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

The only solution to that error that I've found is this:

1. Open a terminal
2. Type in this command:
sudo gedit /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
and enter your password.
3. In the file that is opened, find the line that reads:
MODULES=most
and change it to:
MODULES=dep
4. Save the file and reboot.

That should get rid of the error message. Whether it also fixes your other problem with the orange dots remains to be seen.

#6 Crazy49er

Crazy49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:17 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and report back. The orange dots were just the Ubuntu white/orange/purple splash screen that appeared and for whatever reason froze up. We'll see though.

#7 Crazy49er

Crazy49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

No luck, it popped up again on reboot. I even went back to double check the file but the dep was saved.

Could it be a case of a bad install of Ubuntu and simply missing files?

Edit:

In other news however I am loving the fact that my wireless seems to work now, I've been searching online for days now trying to find a fix for the Belkin usb wireless adaptor that would work when I first log on but after 2-5 minutes it would cut out and I'd have to continually unplug it and plug it back in. Going on 10 minutes of functionality now... crossing my fingers and toes on this one.

Ubuntu is saying there are 291 updates I need to download, I'll try those now that I can actually access the web. Maybe one of them will give the /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/modules.de a good swift kick. I went looking for that one too, but all I found was a file of the same name and location but ending in .dep, I wonder if its a simple case of the Ubuntu loader being blind or dumb?

Edited by Crazy49er, 27 March 2011 - 08:44 PM.

#8 Crazy49er

Crazy49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

scratch that... wireless still hates me, just took 20 minutes this time

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:08 AM

Could it be a case of a bad install of Ubuntu and simply missing files?

Could be. I'm far from a Linux expert, just an enthusiastic amateur.

#10 Crazy49er

Crazy49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:20 PM

Situation with the error fixed, I did 2 things, I made a duplicate copy of the modules.dep file and renamed it to "modules.de" since that was what the program was looking for and Ive been doing some of the updates that the update manager is insistent upon ... dont ask me which ones though I've barely started so I don't know which solution fixed it.

I'm still having trouble with the wireless though. I'll make a new topic for it and link back to this one if need be.

Situation with the error fixed, I did 2 things, I made a duplicate copy of the modules.dep file and renamed it to "modules.de" since that was what the program was looking for and Ive been doing some of the updates that the update manager is insistent upon ... dont ask me which ones though I've barely started so I don't know which solution fixed it.

I'm still having trouble with the wireless though. I'll make a new topic for it and link back to this one if need be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users