Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Diskette Drive Magic

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jimateast

jimateast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:54 AM

mobo : Asus A7N8X-X
RAM : 512MB DDR
PSU : 450W Levicom
installed BIOS release : v. 1010

Whenever I try to read out a diskettes content - new or old diskettes doesn't matter at all - a message pops up stating "device not ready, check blah blah";
After 3 seconds the message disappears and a dialog opens in which the diskettes contents are shown. From that moment on I can do whatever I like with diskettes ( reading from and storing to diskette is no problem then ), until after a reboot of the system, after which the story begins again as described above. :thumbsup:

There's also an AV installed but it has nothing to do with that : the problem was there before the AV or anything else was installed.

For the rest the system doesn't show any problems at all whatsoever, just this diskette magic.
I've googled the heck out of it but while there are some others referring to the same problem, I never couldn't find any solution. This problem is keeping me busy for 3 months now : I can live with it - by all means what's 3 seconds to wait ? - but the problem just shouldn't be there in the first place imho.

There's no update for the BIOS available AFAIK ; No error messages system wide or in Event viewer. Nothing out of the ordinary in Device Manager.
I already replaced the floppy disk cable for a brand new one, albeit I couldn't spot any damage on the old one, not even with a magnifying glass. The mobo was brand new, as were all other components of the system.

Any suggestions, ideas ?
Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:44 AM

Floppy may be going out. The read head may be bad. Used floppy drives are $10.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jimateast

jimateast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:08 AM

The floppy drive was brand new and sealed. The diskettes were new, out of the shop : two packs of 10 disks, different brands.
Jim

#4 jimateast

jimateast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 04:06 PM

BTW : I have 10 new floppy drives on stock from different manufacturers, I tried all 10 of them : result was always the same as in my initial posting.
Jim

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:12 PM

It's possible it could be a brand-new, sealed, defective floppy drive.

I can't see how it could be a software or BIOS issue so I must assume it's hardware related. To fix that you need to isolate the problem by swapping out things as you did with the drive cable. Be sure to try a different power cable for the floppy (there is usually a second connector). Get another (working) floppy drive from somewhere and see if the problem follows the drive or stays with your PC. If it follows the drive then replace it and you're done. If it stays with the PC then you could have a floppy controller problem which would require a motherboard replacement. Would it be worth going that far to fix this? That's up to you of course.

You could try free/shareware diagnostics such as Sisoft SANDRA or Fresh Diagnose (sorry no links)

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:52 PM

I got you back brother...

Everest Home (hardware and software information)
Belarc Diagnostic Tool
Fresh Diagnose (Diagnostic and system resource)
Sanda Lite

Edited by acklan, 29 December 2005 - 07:54 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users