Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media State Disconnected Ip Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 namagodai

namagodai

• Deactivated
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 04:47 AM

I'm trying to connect two computers to the internet. I'm using a Motorola SB4101 modem and a D-Link DI-514 router. When I input the ip address that the router manual tells me to do, it won't work. I called D-Link and they TRIED to guide me through the setup process, but they said that there's something wrong with my TCP/IP thingy. Sorry if I'm not explaining this correctly or using the correct words. I'm new at this router stuff. But I did plug the ethernet cables correctly. I'm just having problems seting up the router. Can someone help me with this media state disconnected IP problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:58 AM

Are you trying to input your IP yourself? Why? If you have DHCP it should configure it for you.
If you are trying to plug in your IP address you will also need a set of DNS and the subnet mask plugged in.
The easy way and the typical way is to install each computer via the ...
Start>All Programs>Accessiories>Communication>Netwwork Setup Wizard. Just follow the instructions.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 namagodai

namagodai
  • Topic Starter

• Deactivated
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:13 PM

I tried the wizard already. But I still couldnt hook both computers up to the internet.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 07:18 PM

What IP did D-Link say was on the LAN side of the router? It should say in the manual.
It should be something like 192.168.1.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 for example.

Set the IP on the network port of one of your computers to (in the above case) 192.168.1.99 with the same subnet mask as above. Leave everything else at default settings.

Make sure that computer is connected to a LAN port on the router using a patch cable (not a cross-over cable).

Open a command window - Start>Run and type cmd.

At the prompt type ping 192.168.1.1 (or the appropriate address in your case)

If you get "timed out" errors then double check the address of the router.
If you get responses with times like "3ms" in them then close that window, open your browser window and type the address you used in the Address bar.

A webpage should open, in your browser window, which lets you configure settings in the router.
Is this what you are looking for?

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:19 AM

Are you manully putting in your IP address in the network setting on your computer?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users