Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Booting after Installing Win7

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sidorak95

sidorak95

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:48 PM

Hi,

I'm having a bit of an issue with Windows 7 and XP after dual booting them. I had XP installe,d and then installed 7 on another partition. Everything went fine, except that I can't boot XP: there's no option.

I tried a few things in command prompt such as bcedit /set and most of those commands. It added the option to the menu, but it said that /ntldr was not bootable as it was missing or corrupt.

I also read somewhere that you should try to copy some files like boot.ini to your 7 partition from your XP partition, but that didn't work since I have no access to my XP partition and trying to assign a dirve letter doesn't work: the option is grayed out.

When partitioning, I set the 7 drive letter to E:. I tried to use EasyBCD to change it, but it only showed C: and D:. According to EasyBCD, both 7 and XP are trying to load from C:. Changing XP to D: makes it revert back automatically.

Could anyone shed some light? Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 26 March 2011 - 07:53 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Win 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

I have a dual-boot of XP and Win 7 on this system :).

If XP was initially installed and functioning...installing Win 7 should have picked it up, since the Win 7 bootloader overrides the boot.ini file of XP.

When you boot into either O/S...it is C:, while the other is either D: (normally the optical drive letter) or E: (next recognized drive). On a dual-boot, there is no permanent assignmnet of C:, C: denotes the Windows system booted into/active at that time.

I would use EasyBCD to add the XP install.

I would boot into EasyBCD...Edit Boot Menu button. Delete the existing boot option reflected for XP (if there is one). Save Settings.

Click Add New Entry Button, Tyep = Win NT/XP, etc., Name = Windows XP, Drive = D .

Click Add Entry button.

Click View Settings, see if both drives are properly reflected. If so, set default you want to boot into.

Louis

#3 sidorak95

sidorak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

Hi, thanks for your reply.

That didn't seem to be the case, and XP wasn't added to the menu. I did try EasyBCD and it told me it couldn't find and XP installations, presumably since I have no access to my XP partition from my 7.

I did manage to fix the problem with one more line in command prompt. It seems the description part was making it do that.

Now I'm having trouble getting XP to boot. Boot.ini is supposedly corrupted, which isn't a surprise. Using Windows Recovery Console with bootcfg /rebuild gives me this: Error: Failed to successfully scan disk for Windows Installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system. I did run chkdsk and tried it again: no avail.

At this point, I'm thinking I should repair my XP installation, and see if that works.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:59 AM

If you repair your XP install with Win 7 now installed...the XP install will break the the Win 7 bootloader (I've done this before).

But you can then install EasyBCD in XP and repair the Win 7 bootloader...at least, it worked for me when I did what you are considering.

Louis

#5 sidorak95

sidorak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:18 AM

Is there any other way I can fix boot.ini? For some reason, the repair option doesn't seem to be showing up when I use my XP disk.

Thanks.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:42 PM

You could try the XP Recovery Console commands.

I suppose that I would try the bootcfg /rebuild command.

Bootcfg Command And Uses, New Boot.ini File - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

Louis

#7 sidorak95

sidorak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

I tried that yesterday, and got this:
Error: Failed to successfully scan disk for Windows Installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system.

I guess I'm really stuck here.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:39 PM

I don't think you're stuck...I think you need to do a clean install.

Something is wrong with your XP file system or the partition or the hard drive...that is problematical.

A clean install will make it easier to figure out where the problem lies.

Louis

#9 sidorak95

sidorak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

Awesome.

I've backed up my documents from it a few hours ago, so I guess I'll go with a reformat. It was getting slow anyways.

Quick question: Would it be better to use a partitioning software to format my XP partition, or should I use the tool included in XP's CD?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:04 PM

My experience is to always use the XP CD to format, there's no reason to format before using the XP CD...and, IMO, sometimes using a different tool to format before trying to install Windows...creates install hiccups that are unnecessary.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users