Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erase hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 colman242003

colman242003

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

I have backed up my files on my old HP a430n OS Windows XP. Have tried Dban and killdisk, neither will boot. Tried to change boot order. Not sure if when I burned killdisk or dban that they are bootable disks. Can anyone help? ANd I am sure I want to clean the disk. Will just be recycling/getting rid of this computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

If you don't care about the parts, just remove the hard drive and hit it with a hammer.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:24 PM

Tried to change boot order.

Did it actually change?

Not sure if when I burned killdisk or dban that they are bootable disks.

Will they boot on another computer?

As an alternative, if the drive can be temporarily fitted into another computer running Vista or Windows 7, or connected via a USB adapter, a full format (i.e. quick format not selected) does zero fill the drive, unlike an XP format. This will render the drive contents unrecoverable, even though technically it's not the redundantly thorough secure erase procedure. If you also want to obliterate any trace of the original file system structure, you could still use Killdisk to wipe the first track as well, which is a quick process, unlike a full secure erase.

Edited by Platypus, 26 March 2011 - 05:25 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:36 PM

I wasn't being facetious. If you are going to trash the system and don't care about the hd - pull it and destroy it - or use an electromagnet. If you DO want to save the drive (and if I understand your post correctly, you don't) then the above suggestions make more sense than mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users