Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wondering about variousVoIP services, any practical advice?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Barefoot2

Barefoot2

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:00 AM

Hey everyone,
I've been using Vonage for a while, and hate to think about going back to our local landline service. However, lately it seems that my experience has returned to the problematic nature of what it was in the beginning (which had it continued, would have been dumped by us). I have had the tin can echo, and dropped calls, as well as last night, it had some kind of malfunction, so it 'took over' the desktop to have us troubleshoot. Whatever was going on was fixed by systematically powering down, and back up again, but we are left without explanation.
I looked into getting the Magic Jack device, but it appears that is it's own nightmare (potentially).
As far as I can tell, at least as I interpret what I have read on their website, skype isn't designed to replace landlines, and ties you to a computer.
Unfortunately for us, our topography and cell tower placement has left us with little cell strength in our house (and most of the yard), so that with the aluminum siding in place, most calls made inside get dropped. Otherwise, we would just use those.
So I am hoping someone here has more information on services like Vonage, or ways to use skype with a phone (as the DH isn't going to sit in front of a computer to make a call.)
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:25 AM

I don't have a landline. I have a cell phone and majikjack. The majikjack works good, I have had issues with breaking up but I don't know if it's the cheap-o phone I have or not. I only paid $5 for it, new.. The other thing is, it only works when my computer is on. I don't give out the number (I don't know what it is) because the computer is not always on. :blink:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Barefoot2

Barefoot2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:17 PM

Upon recommendation by a fellow poster on PBS board, I am trying VOIPo. Wish me luck.

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:36 AM

I recently purchased the new magic jack plus, the one that plugs into the wall..

It does plug into the wall, but then the dial pad on your computer can't be seen because there is a pop up saying you have no magic jack. All of your contact numbers, they will not be down loaded.

I spent an hour on the phone with them before they finally told me that in order to get rid of the popup and get my contacts back, I had to plug it into my phone.

I called back 2 days later, (on chat because the phone was unreliable and unplugged) because the new one was causing my puter to crash, and was told I could not "down grade" to my old magic jack. I argued with a gal for an hour, she finally said that's all she could say and hung up. I called back, this time the new gal told me there was a fix for the crashing. Why didn't anybody say that before?

Bottom line, if you own a magic jack, and like having your contacts on your computer screen, then don't waste money on the new magic jack plus.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users