Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fist. Encounter. Assault. Recon. Anybody Played It Yet?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:11 AM

Just as the topic description says, I am wondering about other's thoughts on the game. I just got it for christmas and beat it an hour ago.

So far, I can think of these points, but feel free to staty any opinions.

1- What do you think of the graphics?

I am asking that because I still think that even though it has some good graphics and effects, its too 'plastic' like and though it has awsome dynamic lighting, I still think Half Life 2 still comes out on top.

2- What do you think of the horror aspect?

I ask this because I think I've played and watched too much Silent Hill and Fatal Frame to be really freaked out by most of their tactics. The only times I was like "HOLY CRAP!" was when Alma went all 'The Ring' on me and that was only like two or three times in the entire game. Everything else was just a slight chill and a short heart beat quicken. Now it didn't scare me much when in the game, but I know that it will have some effects for a few days now that I'm through it, I know myself and I know that my mind will be trying to understand and analyse the storyline and put everything together for a while.

3- What do you think of the combat aspect?

I ask this because I thought it was very repetative. I played it on low difficulty so I can't dis everything about the combat but I think I might be greatful that going from room to room didn't mean fighting like 10 enemies in the process like in Doom 3.

4- What did you think about the story and ending?

5- What do you think of the 'beaten path' the game has you go through?

I ask this because there is just about no sense of freedom in this game, to get from one point to the next is a set of small hallways thats all set out for you where to go.

6- What do you think about the character and relationships between characters?

I ask this because I noticed that this game is a failure at having a 100% first person prospective and trying to impliment the 'you are that character' aspect like in Half Life 1 and 2. It does well in having it all in first person because you can see your feet and shadow, but from the limited conversations and time with other friendly characters, I felt no ties between anybody, exept annoyance for that one F.E.A.R. guy who doesn't like you in the begining, I forgot his name, but I know he is Polish and I like him for that reason only. Polish pride baby!

7- What do you think about the weapons? (Thanks Heretic Money, totally forgot about that, they weren't great)

I thought they weren't too great, you reload weapons at an ungodly speed and some weapons you don't even get to see reload like the shotgun and assault rifle which are lowered off the screen and brought back up reloaded.
__

Like I said, please share your thoughts on anything about F.E.A.R, I was just thinking of those topics above right off the top of my head.

I also would like to know, at the part when you lead the bomb guy to Biship and the fire alarm goes on, did anybody go back to the elevators where the bomb guy got came entered from? Cause I did and I could have sworn I saw a stealth effect run by me earlier and I didn't realize I had to start again on the beaten path so I went back to the elevator area and found one of those enemies that have the stealth cammo and he was just standing there by the elevator and wasn't doing anything and I couldn't hit him.

Anybody else think Half Life 1 and 2 are still the FPS king?

Edited by Wizdabest, 27 December 2005 - 02:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:18 AM

Well, i only played the DEMO, so i can't say much about the storyline or anything.

The graphics were pretty good. It doesn't beat Lost Coast (HL2) imo, but it still looks very nice. The controls were a little awkward. Not sure if it was just me/my box, but the movement seemed to be slightly delayed and a bit laggy. The weapons could've used some work, as they always felt a bit squirrely.

The creepiness was fairly decent. The demo ended shortly after i got trapped in a small hallway with the creepy little young chick.... there was glass breaking all around and some freaky blood-like visuals. Like you, growing up with Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Fatal Frame, and Clock Tower, the fear in, well, FEAR wasn't really anything special. Sure, a little creepy and unsettling, but nothing to make me sweat or turn off my monitor....

Overall, i don't think i'd spend money on the game. From the demo, i don't think i'd enjoy it that much.

#3 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:23 AM

The creepiness was fairly decent. The demo ended shortly after i got trapped in a small hallway with the creepy little young chick.... there was glass breaking all around and some freaky blood-like visuals. Like you, growing up with Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Fatal Frame, and Clock Tower, the fear in, well, FEAR wasn't really anything special. Sure, a little creepy and unsettling, but nothing to make me sweat or turn off my monitor....

lol yea, you tend to get used to a ghost walking by at a key moment especially when they attack you and try to actually kill you like in Fatal Frame (On that topic, I want to try out Fatal Frame 3 :thumbsup: ).

I give them props though, its definatly a new way for a horror game instead of having to take out truck loads of enemies that pop out of nowhere.

Edited by Wizdabest, 27 December 2005 - 02:26 AM.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:00 AM

1- What do you think of the graphics?

I really liked the graphics, although they didn't look as natural as in HL2 they added more to the game. Stay away from soft shadows though, they make everything look horrible.

2- What do you think of the horror aspect?

I wouldn't call it a horror game at all, more a thriller. And it is better of because of it. It can be deliciously creepy at times, although it get almost to easy to predict the visions. And small girls are creepy.

3- What do you think of the combat aspect?

Combat was great, probably the best combat in an FPS I've ever experienced. This is where the graphics really makes the game shine. The combat itself really comes together with the enemy AI, graphic effects (with all the smoke, holes in the walls, and stuff flying) and sounds (good, although not COD2 class), gore and slowmo making it all a wonderful blend of tactics and madness.

4- What did you think about the story and ending?

The story was good although very spars. You had to be really sure you dug up all telephones and laptops. And there very some very nice twists and suprices, that we better not discuss for those that haven' yet played the game. Although you have to play through the game at least twice to get most of the story anyways.

5- What do you think of the 'beaten path' the game has you go through?

There were often several way to make your way yourself through the map. Airducts and corridors and such. Which, honestly, I found mostly irritating, since I several time ended up running in circles.

6- What do you think about the character and relationships between characters?

Making it a 100% first person was a interesting twist, although I would have prefered to see yourself and hear you talking, and more cutscenes overall. It is not really your team, and the good guys that are the characters in the game, almost all dialogue is from the bad guys, ie Paxton Fettel, Norton Mapes, Genevieve Aristide, Alice Wade and Harlan Wade.

7- What do you think about the weapons? (Thanks Heretic Money, totally forgot about that, they weren't great)

Pretty standard FPS stuff, the weapons. They are well made though, cool to shoot with, which is nice.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:13 AM

I was annoyed at times with how much the game seemed to go out of its way to keep you away from any alies. The most time you ever spent with an ally would probably be the breifing scene before they begin the mission to capture Fettle. Then it got really annoying because everybody dies or your told to keep pushing on, it got way too much a "you do this" and "you do that" thing.

#6 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:15 PM

There are two more things that sort of confuse me, one more than the other.

first off, if F.E.A.R is supposed to be a unit designed to take down paranormal activity, nothing paranormal is mentioned by them at all and nothing is treated as paranormal activity, exept for maybe Fettle's hunger. Are you the only one who gets greeted by Fettle and Alma or what?

Secondly, I noticed that in the demo, when you jumped in the water and could see your reflection, it was one of the soldier models, like on the box. I just now noticed that even though you can see your reflection in water, you appear totally black and can not make out any details.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users