Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Problem following virus - guru needed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Thickdad

Thickdad

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:38 AM

While trying to find & download a codec to get my DVD working I must have introduced a virus.
Kaspersky seems to have isolated the problem, but I'm left with a very annoying USB problem.

When I plug any item in my 2 USB front ports the computer just freezes, it will prevent loading of XP home, it will halt any operating programme when plugged in after boot-up. (I've not tried the back ports as these are difficult to get at)

YET if I plug these same items into a USB 4 port hub attached in the same front ports I have no problem, they all work fine.
all these USB items will work without any problems when attached to my XP home laptop.

I think of a hub like a multi plug power extension .... doing nothing but allowing more connections
Why should I ONLY be able to connect through it ??

Thickdad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:48 AM

Hi Thickdad -
First have you checked the drivers ? ?
Start > Right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager -
Click on USB Controllers at the bottom - Make sure there are no - ! - ? - or similar red or yellow marks there -

Thank You -

#3 Thickdad

Thickdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:07 AM

There is no problem highlighted,

My entry is via :-
Control Panel - System Properties - Hardware - Device Manager.
There are no warning indicators just under USB Controlers :-

Generic Hub
SIS 7001 PCI to USB open host controller X 3 ( 3 different lines saying the same detail)
SIS PCI to USB enhanced host controller
USB mass storage (My LaCie 110 GB portable HD attached via my 4 port hub)
USB mass storage (My SATA 320 GB external HD attached via my 4 port hub)
USB root x 4 ( again it's 4 different lines saying the same detail

As I stated previously I've not yet pulled the computer out to test if adding storage devices via the rear panel connections
brings about the same lock-up, although I'm thinking it may not, my mouse and camera are both plugged in the back panel and working fine.

Thickdad

#4 Thickdad

Thickdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:39 PM

Tonight I eased my system from the forest of wires
I plugged my video camera in a rear USB port and it locked the system up again, so this problem seems to be universal with the exception of
my USB mouse and Canon digi camera that seem to work.
I can see no switching that could be amended and everything says it's working fine which it obviously is not !

Very odd ??

Thickdad

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:11 PM

My entry is via :-
Control Panel - System Properties - Hardware - Device Manager.

Yes mine too usually , but an advisor said the My Computer version is easier for some to understand -
The powers that be , have not chosen to move this to the infected area yet , so it seems they think it is still a localised problem -
The multi USB connectors (as I basically understand) are like a power board and you should be able to use one or the other at any time -
I hope you gave the inside a quick look and clean / dust if required also - Just usual cleaning -
Apart from uninstalling the problem items and reinstalling them

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer.
This will better assist us in helping you more. Plug the video cam in a working port while following the directions (just to see it here) -
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

I assume all else is working OK except this particular problem -
>>I plugged my video camera in a rear USB port and it locked the system up again<<
I hope that the computer unfroze (defrosted :blink: ) after you unplugged the video camera -

Thank You -
EDIT -
You mentioned trying to find & download a codec to get my DVD working - Is this OK or related to your problems still -

Edited by noknojon, 26 March 2011 - 06:14 PM.

#6 Thickdad

Thickdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:25 AM

It seems Speccy need money to exchange hands before it can be downloaded.

One fact that seems to have been overlooked When it freezes there is no way the system can be returned to service other than using the re-set button, it's impossible to move anything. Removal of the hardware makes no difference. Everything used directly in my front panel will lock it, WITH THE EXCEPTION of my un-powered USB 2.0 4 port 'extension'. My items that lock the system include :-

250 MB Integral USB1.1 memory stick fat file
250 MB Crucial USB.2 memory stick fat file
1 GB cruzer USB.2 memory stick fat file
2 GB Generic USB.2 memory stick fat file
111 GB LaCie portable external HD USB 1.1 & 2.0 Fat.32 file (powered via USB port)
320 GB SATA external HD with 3 partitions 1 x on Fat.32 2 x on NTFS (seperate power supply)
Generic USB (Cheapie) video camera for use on Skype

No I don't use them all together as there wouldn't be enough power in the USB system.

The file systems used in the small memory sticks is Fat, the others on Fat.32 or NTFS. I use the 1.1 Integral stick for moving things between my 98SE system (not on line) and my XP home system that's my internet system.

It has been suggested that something may have altered the addressing making the system not recognise items without the additional interface of the small 4 port hub in between.

Thickdad

Edited by Thickdad, 28 March 2011 - 05:39 AM.

#7 Thickdad

Thickdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:35 AM

I'm coming to a strange conclusion because of another experiment.
I have 2 x small canon digi cameras - both of these work without locking up my system, used in either rear (normal location for lead) or front sockets they work fine.
So what's different between these and my other USB items that freeze the system ??
Individual drivers ..... The only thing I can think of ?
All the other items of hardware have been installed via the Plug-in-and-play part of XP home.
My conclusion is that somehow the trojan/worm/virus has damaged the P'nP recognition. Although how it continues to recognises them with a hub interface between the jamming devices and system is beyond me ?

Thickdad

As you say this had been moved to Virus problem area and perhaps the 'damage' came from that. However Kaspersky has done several full scans on every device and full systen and apart from the initial finding and neutralising of threats it now reports nothing.
I'm now left with this rather annoying problem.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:59 AM

I would go into Device Manager...go down to USB controllers...and uninstall all entried indicating "controller"...then reboot the system. Current controllers may be damaged and this procedure will install fresh ones.

Louis

#9 Thickdad

Thickdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:37 AM

Hi Hamluis,

Sorry not to get back earlier, but I've not been able to work on the computer for a few days.

When I tried unistalling USB controllers before I could uninstall a second of the 4 shown it decided to re-install the one I had removed without wanting a re-start ? I did disable them all and then of course had forgotten my mouse is USB so that ceased working. Found a PS2 mouse and regained connectivity for a mouse. I didn't then go ahead and uninstall when disabled in case I screwed it all up !!

What I find odd is my laptop has 3 USB ports, 3 host controllers, and 3 USB root hubs - that makes sense to me.
This problem system has 6 USB ports (4 rear, 2 front) but devices show 4 host controllers, and 4 USB root hubs.
Items plugged in directly that work without freezing :- USB Floppy, 2 different Canon cameras, USB mouse, USB-2 4 port hub.
Earlier on I listed the 6 mass storage devices and video cam that freeze the system when any one is plugged in
UNLESS I have them plugged in the external 4 port USB hub - do that and they all work fine.
I suppose I can live with it but it's a latent fault that I'd like to cure.

Sorry to take so long, but you did ask about the original reason for trying to download Codecs from the web.
This is the story - abreviated as much as I think I can :-
Computer running slow - started deleting all sorts of files, not knowing exactly what was what (gotta be honest)
When I wanted to play a DVD some time after (only play DVD's a dozen or so times a year) Windows Media Centre said
it couldn't play as no codecs were installed - OK they had been there because it used to work ? I installed Media Centre 11
off the Microsoft site, but this gave me exactly the same problem - I didn't like the interface so reverted to my original
earlier version, this continued with the same problem. I have the same problem with another of my systems (in the garage)
and even a clean re-installed OS, didn't bring back DVD play.
This problem is still with me and is why I was looking for codecs and why I brought in worms & virus problems.

Explaining what happened my help - I downloaded a codec file into this computer, then when it asked if I could Run I agreed
and it began to install from the downloaded Temporary Internet files. At the same time Kaspersky started a download of updated
information, before the codec installation was complete it appeared to have frozen - I had to go out and 3 hours later it was
still hanging in the same place ! I thought the freeze may have come about due to installing a programme at the same time my
anti-virus was downloading. I decided to re-visit the site only this time download onto my lacie external drive. Computer freezing
began and I thought the external drive may have failed - but when plugged into my laptop Kaspersky found the worms & virus problems
and neutralised them.
Nothing had been reported by Kaspersky in this system so I located the download files and on being unable to find any uninstall
just deleted the folders from this computer. I have done several deep scans and nothing has been found. In fact the register of
threats on this computer shows nothing at all, never had to remove anything ??

If I go into my laptop there is detail of what Kaspersky neutralised on my lacie ...
All I noted here from the 16 or 20 things it neutralised win32.AutoRun.dzn ..... autorun.inf and win32.Anilogo
However none of thes have been found within this main system

I have loads of computers because normally when one gets difficult I buy a new one, but at 68 and on a pension I now need to fix !!

Thickdad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users