Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nutxe

nutxe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 12:33 AM

I've been trying to move a rather large DVD image file (4.35 gb, "img" file type) to an external usb 2.0 250 gb hard drive. The hard drive has 209 gb of free space, according to windows explorer and to Disk Management. It's a fat32 filesystem.

However, when I try to move the dvd image from my internal hard drive to the external one, windows explorer displays a message that says:

"There is not enough free disk space.

Delete one or more files to free disk space, and then try again.

To free disk space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click Disk Cleanup".

I did a quick check for drive errors. there were none.

I've never seen anything like this. Any suggestions would be helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:31 AM

It could be a fragmentation problem. Run defrag on both drives and try again.

What operating system is in use?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 nutxe

nutxe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:47 AM

Windows XP professional, with sp2

The 250 gb hard drive shouldn't be too fragmented; it's new.
The main hard drive might be. It's worth a try.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:46 AM

Could be a buffer problem, not enough memory. Try increasing you swap file utill after the transfer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:48 PM

the problem you are encountering is because Fat 32 does not perform well with such large files. 4 gig and larger files should be put on a NTFS partition

if I were in your shoes / I would reorganize your drive and install another partition >>>> and format it with NTFS fopr your big files

your could use a program like partition magic or (30 day trial ) period for Boot It NG works real well >>> has an easy to understand manual which you will need to print out !!

http://terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

or seeing as you have so little stuff on it now / I would back-up the data you have on the external drive to an internal and turn the whole external drive to NTFS (reformat)

but if you need to use that drive with another computer uisng win 98 or win ME / those OS's cant read an NTFS file system / if that situtation is what you need to do >>>> you would need to make another partition with one partition being NTFS

regards

joe

Edited by linderman, 27 December 2005 - 03:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users