Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSH Tunnel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NutCrack

NutCrack

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:25 PM

Can someone please give me a short idea about how SSH Tunneling works on gaming. I've heard that it reduces ping by a huge percentage because it somewhat ignores internet traffic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_trizicus_*

Guest_trizicus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:23 PM

A SSH tunnel reducing ping... yea right... SSH creates an encrypted tunnel between two nodes. This means it's going to need more resources. Also, I highly doubt MMO's will allow a SSH tunnel between games, if they want security they are going to use something like SSL.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:31 AM

If anything, an SSH tunnel would increase ones ping, not reduce it. "Ping" is basically the time it takes for a piece of information to travel from the game server to your computer and back again. By channeling your connection through an SSH tunnel, you would be increasing the time it takes (higher ping) rather than reducing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users