Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unidentified network & possible firewall policy issues?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Arit

Arit

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:29 PM

I am using Vista Home Basic. My ISP is At&T and I'm using a Speedstream 4100 router. These problems arose after programs unknown to me were deleted by a family member.

When I attempt to access the Internet using Firefox, I receive a message that says "Address Not Found Firefox can't find the server at *insert website here*". The network status says "Computer detects an unidentified network. Local access only." The connection works with my other computer, and the problem persists even if I turn Zonealarm and Windows Defender off.

I used Windows Diagnostics and received the following:
Posted Image

The policy provider SymNetDRv Firewall Filter that it mentions obviously belongs to Norton Internet Security, which does not appear in my Program Files, but does appear in Program Data. I cannot open the program to edit anything, and when I attempt to uninstall it from the Add/Remove Programs list the removal fails; "An error occurred during installation. To fix this problem, you must uninstall, then reinstall the product. 9999, 174." I have also tried to delete it from Program Data, but it says I don't have permission.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Arit, 25 March 2011 - 06:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:03 AM

It appears you have a corrupt or partly uninstalled Norton Internet suite try using the Norton system uninstaller just do a search for Norton uninstaller (I can't post links from my phone). Hope that helps with that part and may be your only problem.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:02 AM

Norton Removal Tool http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

#4 Arit

Arit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:49 PM

Thank you so much, guys. I'm posting from the newly connected computer now!

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

Awesome Team Work Thanks for posting the link Union_Thug :thumbup2:. Glad all is well and we were able to help :busy:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

You're welcome, guys. :thumbup2: