ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool
which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained
It is intended by its creator to be used under the guidance and supervision of a Malware Removal Expert, not for private use.
Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.Please do not run Combofix on your own
I take it this is a business computer?
If so, I strongly recommend you to ask your IT suppport/network Administrator to fix this. After all they are paid to do so.
I ask this for several reasons:
- There may be restrictions and modifications installed on such machines that could be damaged or altered by the actions we take to remove Malware.
- Any infection could jump terminals in a computer network.
- There may also be legal issues regarding any loss of business data that I do not wish to deal with.
- Some people who come here use their computers for work, and the computers may contain the patient records of a physician or the financial records of an accountant's clients or credit card and bank account information of their employer's customers.
- There may be tremendous risks and legal liability for such users for not fully securing the computer. We will not know this unless we ask. We do not want to be accidentally putting those we help in vulnerable positions for law suits.
- Business factors outweigh technical factors in making the reformat and reinstall decision. Sometimes friends give missing CDs or lack of expertise as a reason for not doing a reformat and reinstall.
- The cost of replacing missing Windows XP and MS Office CDs and getting an Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer to come in for 3 hours to do the reinstall and apply all the critical updates, is trivial compared with the potential cost of a multi-million dollar lawsuit for breach of trust if confidential client or patient information is disclosed.
- In specific situations where highly confidential information about others is on the computer, and a backdoor virus or trojan is found, we are helping people more by identifying that they have a backdoor trojan which puts them in a particularly vulnerable situation and sending them to seek local professional help from a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer or Certified Information Systems Security Professional or Global Information Assurance Certification Certified Security Expert or Certified Computing Professional or Internet Service Provider than we would be trying to fully resolve their problems long distance.
is that a bird? a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!
If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+