Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oh G--! PLease Help Me. I need a suicide helpline!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sean Schiraldi

Sean Schiraldi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:18 PM

OK, yes I'm an a$$hole. Yes, this comp is life and death for me. I wont go into how precious it is to me. I know we all have our stories, but I'm really trembling. Please help guys.

I went to clean the ****ing inside because it sounded like a jet and bent about 10 pins on the GodDamn processor!!!!

OK, I havent spoke to anybody of any use yet, but please tell me this is doable. Please tell me I can bend these pins back and this will all be a horrible memory.

I figure tweezers and a magnifying glass?? I don't know. My nerves are shot. I had another crappy one laying around that I was gonna use for practice but of course I cant find the thing now!! So, I got one shot. ARe these things gonna snap like nothing or can they handle a push back??

as you could tell this is my first time.. Thank You. If this doesnt work, it was nice talkin

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

I've had this happen to me before. If you are extraordinarily gentle, calm, and lucky then bending the pins slowly back into position with tweezers and a magnifying glass may save your bacon.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:34 PM

I also...have bent CPU pins before...just a couple...was able to straighten them withoug breaking them, exercising patience :).

Louis

I think I used a flat credit card in my effort, trying to keep the bent pins in line with the good ones as a guide.

Edited by hamluis, 25 March 2011 - 03:36 PM.

#4 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:54 PM

remaining very calm around, moving somewhat slowly with both intent and purpose around electronics is always the best advice to give. Especially when you've very nearly messed up big time... because there are many ways you can yet salvage the situation.

I'd find a pair of needle nose pliers and very slowly work the pins back into a straight position. Probably start by grabbing the end and very slowly and very gently working them back into place. You may want to use two sets of tools for this and have a second set of tweezers or pliers that do not have any grooves on the inside. You don't want the end of the pin getting caught in a groove and applying more pressure to the weakened bend.

As a plan B... see if you can find a replacement processor online with the same make/model that was bent.

If I may ask, why remove the processor to clean the fans?

Edited by Crazy49er, 25 March 2011 - 06:56 PM.

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

I have done this a time or two when rushing myself. The best tool I have ever found for straightening them is a mechanical pencil with no lead in it. Then just use a bright light, a magnifying glass, and a lot a patience. remember they need to line up in both directions as well.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

I have done this a time or two when rushing myself. The best tool I have ever found for straightening them is a mechanical pencil with no lead in it. Then just use a bright light, a magnifying glass, and a lot a patience. remember they need to line up in both directions as well.

Mechanical pencils are great for fine tuning. I personally prefer using the back plates from computer cases (That cover the PCI slots). They work great for PGA processors. You put it in between the row of pins and just lean the plate towards the side you are correcting too. It ensures all the pins line up, especially if you have multiple ones bent.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:53 AM

I should keep the PCI Slot next time when this situation happens to me. As stated above by others keep calm and don't rush it :)

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users