Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing Up Another Computer Thru My Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 glenng805

glenng805

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:06 PM

I have an old desktop (Pentium II) that became infected with spyware and possibly a virus. Before I shut it down and stored it none of the disc drives (cd/dvd/floppy/zip) were functioning. I no longer have a monitor for it. Can I back up the picture, video and doc files using my laptop without transferring the spyware and/or virus to my laptop?

Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 10:03 PM

The short of it...Yes, you can. The long verison you will need to run antivirus, antispyware, and post a hjt log to allow the experts verify you no longer have malware on the drive. You must determine if the data is worth the time and effort. You maybe talking about a week buy the time the HJT Team finishs the reviw of your drive. It's not that they are slow, they just take it very serious and are careful.

You can buy a USB to IDE cable to transfer the contents of the drive. Open your old computer unplug the IDE cable to the hard drive then plug the transfer cable in. Turn the old computer on then plug in the USB to IDE transfer cable into your notebook. You need to leave the drive in the old computer to provide power. The USB cable will not power that IDE drive.
Only attempt this if you have all your antivirus installed and updated. Make sure your antispyware is also installed and updated. You may still end up with malware on your notebook. There are no promises it won't. If you have to put the old data on your notebook there will be risks.

I recommend you have all the following (except where indicated) installed prior to attemping any fie transfer.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial(2000, and XP only)(Features)
A Squared Free
SpyBlaster
SpywareGuard

These links may be needed, so keep them handy...

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer Only
Trendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire Only
Panda's ActiveScan
F-secure's Virus Scan
SyGate's Trojan scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer Only
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users