Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor reads " No Signal " and shut downs when I try to open my folders

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 claryfray

claryfray

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:14 PM

Hi I'm new here so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area or something :) I'm not too sure if it is virus or my computer but I am unable to open any of my folders. Initially it was just my downloads folder so I thought it may be a virus. I downloaded malwarebytes, ran it and had some stuff removed. I thought my case was closed but now I seem to have trouble open ANY folders and even programs like anti-virus softwares unless I'm in the safe mode. Whenever i click on the folders or programs my computer would proceed to black out. For a few seconds the music is still running in the background. Then it starts getting weird like a broken record. The monitor light then turns orange instead of green and "NO Signal" appears. The PC is still on though, fans running and stuff. Strangely enough I am able to use the Internet though I can't open my folders. I use google chrome. but sometimes it still shuts down or the monitor at least for no reason. Sometimes it reboots but most times I have to manually reboot it. Do you guys think it's a virus or a computer problem?

I've checked the wires and they are secure. About the motherboard, I had it changed not long ago because the previous one burned out. I'm a computer noob so I can't give more details about the computer and I don't think I can dismantle it and clean it either. I would be grateful if anyone could help me here, I've checked everywhere on google and most answers require dismantling or plugging a new monitor( which I don't have) or something about a video card. Please guys?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:51 AM

This needs to be bumped! My computer is getting worse. I previously said I could use the Internet but now my computer won't even last five seconds before going into the "No Signal" mode. Is it a virus because I really need to solve this problem right now, I've got important work files on my computer :( :(

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:05 AM

Welcome claryfray -
First copy and paste the code below into your Run Box and click OK - This will restart your computer in 30 seconds and run a disk check -

CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

It should run a full 5 stage check / repair on your system that takes from about 30 to 60 mins -
It is harmless but may repair any basic faults -

Thank You -

#4 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

Thank you for the reply noknojon but I'm afraid the problem is beyond basic. I ran the check, it took longer than I expected but my computer is still restarting itself or going into the no signal mode. As I'm typing this on the iPad, my computer has once again blacked out. It's almost immediate now that when I turn it on, the computer would go into the no signal mode or black out or whatever. :( :(

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:02 AM

Can you reboot your computer in Safe Mode and see if the same problem occurs there too?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:48 AM

No, the problem doesn't occur in the safe mode.

Maybe the first post is too long, I'm going to try and give a shorter and my accurate version of my problem. The computer would lapsed into a no signal or sleep mode except moving the mouse doesn't wake it up. Forget what I said about it doing that when I access my folders, I could be doing anything or even nothing at all and the screen would black out into the no signal mode. It would give no warning except the music going at drone but at a high pitch. I would have to restart the computer manually but sometimes it restarts all by itself but it gets into a restarting loop. I've run the check and repair system and some antivirus stuff, nothing seems wrong.

I'm pretty sure it's not the mobo though the conditions seem similar. My burned out not too long ago. The computer wouldn't start and the generator produced a low continuous hum. In THIS case, my computer still starts and the generator runs albeit louder than usual like it's working real hard. Advice is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,252 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:07 AM

If the problem doesn't occur in safe mode, lets try uninstalling the video card drivers.

Click Start > Run, type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
Click on the + sign in front of Display Adapter and highlight your installed display adapter. Right click on it and select Uninstall. Confirm to uninstall, then restart your computer.

Let me know if you see any change in normal mode after this.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#8 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:18 AM

So, I uninstalled my display adapters, there were two so I uninstalled both and restarted my computer. Then a pop up told me new hardware found, my display adapters so I went to click on them then the screen blacked out twice but each time it came back on by itself. I thought everything was fine so I proceeded to surf the net albeit the screen being stretched and pixelated. Then I decided to watch a video on the net, the moment I clicked on it, the screen went into no signal mode once again but it came back on, more stretched.

So I thought everything was "fine again" but once I exited google chrome, my computer went into the no signal mode again and it didn't come back on this time. It went on a restarting loop and finally resting at the no signal mode once again. I don't know what's the problem here. I thought i had it figured out, a video card problem but now it seems it's not?? :blink:

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,252 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:48 AM

In that case, disable the display adapters: right click on them in Device management and select Disable. Then reboot in normal mode.

Note, the items on your screen will appear bigger due to low screen resolution. Please see if the problem sill occurs now.

regards, Elise

#10 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:34 AM

So, I disabled the display adapters and the problem stopped occurring. The screen only blacked out once when I tried to watch a video online but it came back on again. I am also able to access my folders. Thank you so much :)

That also means that I have to get new display adapters then? Since it seems to be the problem?

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,252 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:16 AM

The problem is most likely the video card. This is a hardware piece. Because reinstalling the drivers did not result in any change, it means most likely that you'll need a new video card.

regards, Elise

#12 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:44 AM

Okay. Once again thanks for helping me out! :wink: :)

#13 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

I am working on a system that is exibiting very similar behaviour to what you are describing.
If I find a solution I will let you know.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users