Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Put Thermal Grease On Heatsink/fan Assembly, Laptop Back Together But Won't Boot!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Josh C

Josh C

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:47 PM

Hi everyone, I recently took apart my Dell Inspiron 5150 to put some thermal grease on the exposed parts of the heatsink (microprocessor thermal cooling assembly). This unit also has the CPU fan attached to it, I practically had to pull the whole computer apart to do this and put everything back together. Now, I can turn on the notebook but the monitor will not display and image and the processor does not do anything onces the power is turned on. I also noticed when I tried to plug in the AC power adapter that the 3 LED's on the front flash once but that is it. I have included a link to a picture of the laptop opened up, some of the connections are not plugged in on this picture simply because they had to be removed for access but I am totally lost as to what the next step is:

http://members.cox.net/cbctsales/Microproc...embly%20004.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 04:19 PM

Hi Josh C,

Laptops can be a real bear to work on. My only suggestion to you is to take it back apart and try reassembling it again. It is possible something didn't get seated right. It is definately worth a try. If all else fails, you may have to take it into a shop or call Dell and have them repair it.

Good luck Josh,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Josh C

Josh C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:24 PM

Thanks Rigel for the info, from the picture and your knowledge...Artic Silver on the part where I put it (upper right corner of the laptop) in picture..that shouldn't cause any issues right? its strictly on the copper heat sink and I put some of the mini silver cooling fins just to the left...I'm starting to think when I put it back in that the microprocessor did not seat properly to the grd on the motherboard...any thoughts on if that would cause the error I'm experiencing??? thanks once again.

#4 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 03:56 AM

Your actually not suppose to let the arctic silver paste be exposed to air under heat. Its meant to be put directly on the heatink, although any reaction it could have caused shouldnt have effected any monitor issues, I suggest what rigel said carefully reassemble it to see if you amde any errors. Is it still under warranty?

#5 Josh C

Josh C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:05 AM

Your actually not suppose to let the arctic silver paste be exposed to air under heat. Its meant to be put directly on the heatink, although any reaction it could have caused shouldnt have effected any monitor issues, I suggest what rigel said carefully reassemble it to see if you amde any errors. Is it still under warranty?

I did not know that..thank you Salo, it is no longer under warranty unfortunately..its warranty expired back in August.

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:28 PM

Hi Josh,

I missed what you said... Salo is right. The paste is suppose to go between the microprocessor and the heatsink. It acts as a thermal transfer agent. One tip... when you take it apart, get out a couple of sheets of copy paper and draw a diagram on it referencing front, right, left, and back. On that, draw landmarks that match the look of the inside of your laptop. Do this with each layer you expose, adding additional sheets. It works great as a way to remember what screw goes where and how things went together.

Good luck Josh,

Rigel

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 Josh C

Josh C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:57 PM

Hi Josh,

I missed what you said... Salo is right. The paste is suppose to go between the microprocessor and the heatsink. It acts as a thermal transfer agent. One tip... when you take it apart, get out a couple of sheets of copy paper and draw a diagram on it referencing front, right, left, and back. On that, draw landmarks that match the look of the inside of your laptop. Do this with each layer you expose, adding additional sheets. It works great as a way to remember what screw goes where and how things went together.

Good luck Josh,

Rigel

Thanks Rigel...I've put the laptop together 3 times so far and I still can't get it to go past powering up, flashing once on the processor light and having the CD Rom drive to light up..after that it just is idle with a blank screen and the fan runs as normal. :thumbsup:

#8 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:43 PM

I hate to say it, but it's time for a shop to look at it. i wouldn't reccomend doing laptop repairs yourself. Call Dell and ask them for a guestimate on the cost.

Good luck Josh...

Rigel

#9 Josh C

Josh C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:15 PM

thanks to everyone for their feedback...I have a friend looking at it but things don't look good..I have decided pre-emptively to order a Refurb'd Gateway 2.8Ghz Notebook..got a really good deal from TigerDirect. its got the Intel Pentium 4 with HT and an internal wireless card, etc. I'm really excited..hopefully its lighter than my brick of a laptop Inspiron.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users