Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer freezes everytime i try to open firefox

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bellily

Bellily

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

oy vey!

i have a dell vostro 220, running xp, and firefox has recently updated itself.
since then, i am dealing with constant freezes (can move mouse, but nothing is clickable, task manager will not show up, even freezes in safe mode), especially when i attempt to open firefox. i have uninstalled it, reinstalled it, deleted it again, did system restores (unsuccessful), nothing is helping. i am able to get on the internet minimally with ie, but often the same thing happens, only a little later.

is this a firefox issue?
a virus?
i have been madly googling what's happening and am getting a lot of confusing information. some say that there might be an issue with my video driver (and i can't figure out how to update that btw), some elude to a virus, some advise to disable add-ons. someone mentioned that it might be an issue with all the google applications on my system (i have uninstalled chrome, and am trying to uninstall the google screensaver and toolbar applications, and avast is sending me danger-messages when i do that)
malwarebytes is not finding anything.
avast! is rebelling.

please help!

Edited by hamluis, 25 March 2011 - 02:16 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bellily

Bellily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

I probably supplied all the wrong information in my initial post - I was hoping someone might have experience with what is happening to my computer. If this does really ring a bell, I would adore it if I could know that, fix or no fix.

Since the first post, I have done a number of things, most of these probably none to wise.
I have looked through this site to find some online scanners to use (BitDefender and Symantec), both of which did not complete their work before the computer froze again near the end of the scan. I have uninstalled Avast! and am trying Microsoft Security Essentials - which also couldn't finish the initial quick scan. I am able to do all of this in safe mode, but that will freeze up too.

The weird thing is that Firefox seems to instantly freeze it - mind you that I have uninstalled FF, but the icon still remains. Even trying to pull the shortcut to the recycle bin brings on an immediate freeze.

My present assessment is that I should probably start over on that computer and reinstall Windows.
I have never done this before and am a little scared...

I also wonder if something is going on with the actual physical computer..

Thank you in advance for your input, even if it's just saying woo-woo-there-there.

Best,
Anke

#3 Bellily

Bellily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:30 PM

... i have been advised to use combofix by a person not affiliated with bleeping computers, and did so. the logs don't make a lick of sense to me, but after a couple of these scans, i was able to boot into normal mode. things are still buggy and firefox still can't be touched or looked at without the previous crap repeating itself. let me know if anyone would like to see the combofix logs..

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

Malware topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic387716.html

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MR Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users