Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Optiplex 320 Power button is amber

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 k_tec12

k_tec12

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:52 AM

I have dell optiplex 320, and for some reason the power button is amber, and the computer is not coming on...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

I encountered a dell once that had a similar issue, but on a different model. On this specific dell, there was a special small circuit board that controlled the on/off switch, along with a few USB ports, and a mic/headphones jack combo. Turns out the small circuit board in front was toast, but the rest of the computer worked fine -- I tested by manually turning on the computer by completing the circuit myself.

I'd say take a look in your computer and see if your front power button is connected to a small circuit board. If it is, see if it has a ribbon cable it uses to connect to the motherboard -- a small ribbon cable, not as big as an IDE connector for old 3.5 Hard Drive.

Let us know if your dell has a similar design, and we can go from there.

#3 k_tec12

k_tec12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

To Suicide King
its exactly how you described it . So whats my next move?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Optiplex-320-Power-Button-Front-USB-Assembly-WJ855-/220510561113

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

To Suicide King
its exactly how you described it . So whats my next move?

I'd agree with dpunisher. At $9 USD, it's worth a shot. Considering the problem seems similar to the one I encountered, I'd say there is a good chance that is your problem.

My only suggestion to you would be to remove the power assembly first, and make sure the numbers on it match up with the number listed on eBay. Sometimes different revisions will be released of hardware -- sometimes new revisions can replace older revisions, but it is always best to make sure all the numbers match perfectly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users