Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Users are unable to load websites - no error, just 1-hour+ load times for pages

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cuistech

cuistech

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:24 AM

Our users have IE 7 and 8. We keep them locked into place by pointing IE to our firewall product (tools > internet options > connections > lan settings), so that only approved sites are the ones that our people can access.

In the last few days, several of them report issues with specific websites loading very slowly - load times of over an hour just to get the log-in screen to appear.

Troubleshooting Steps:
1.) Unchecked the "use proxy server for your LAN" under the IE menus
---> Site resolves instantly, as it should
---> This pointed me to the direction that perhaps the site wasn't configured for our firewall

2.) Re-checked the "use proxy server" box, and specifically configured the site in our firewall
---> Site continues to resolve slowly, with the same load times as before performing step 1

That would normally indicate that the problem is on the vendor's end. Something may be wrong with their site. And that's the line of thought I was pursuing until I was reported back to that the users are having the same problem on other websites. These new websites they're having problems with are, and have been for a long time, configured properly in the firewall.

I'm not sure what my next step is to pursue. What am I looking for now? I don't know enough about networking to figure out where to track next.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cuistech

cuistech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:55 AM

Bump.

#3 cuistech

cuistech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

Turns out everything was originally configured properly. The firewall was set to do a virus scan on each incoming site, and that was causing problems for these targeted sites. Once we put the exceptions into our firewall's antivirus filter, everything worked properly.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for posting your self-resolution...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users