Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My BIOS and my CPU | Updating BIOS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:27 AM

GA-MA78GM-US2H rev. 1.0

My BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

Supported CPUs, by version: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=2995

My CPU is AMD Athlon II X2 250, 3.0 GHz Dual-Core

Q1: In that list, is my CPU supported (my current BIOS version)?
Q2: Give me a full and complete instructions on how to update BIOS (turning off anti-virus, etc.), if it's needed.

Regards, :)
rhino

Edited by rhino1366, 25 March 2011 - 09:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:24 PM

IMO...BIOS updates should be considered...not very often.

Unless an update impacts system capability/hardware in some way that improves performance...there's little need to ever link "BIOS" and "update."

I'm not speaking of OEM systems (Dell, HP, etc.) since I'm not familiar with their rationales...but a typical system put together by a user needs a BIOS update only in certain situations.

That said...I'm just curious why you want to go that route with that motherboard and that CPU.

The CPU listed is certainly supported for that board, http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=2995 .

Louis

#3 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:29 PM

Since BIOS version - at the right.

It's just I often get only 1 processing core, time-to-time.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

I don't know what you mean...I have the same CPU in the system I'm currently on.

What are you looking at...and when...to assert that?

If you go to the Performance tab of Task Manager...double-click the CPU usage graph...how many cores are represented?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 March 2011 - 07:47 PM.

#5 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

According to the list posted, that board will support that CPU, listed under the AM3 section. The only question to answer is which one of the AMD Athlon II X2 250 chips you have since there are 2 listed. One works with the Bios as of version F4, the other F8.

You can try downloading the @Bios program available on your motherboard's download page. This utility should allow you to check your bios information and help with the update process if you need to.

HOWEVER, WITH THAT SAID. PLEASE BE AWARE UPDATING THE BIOS IS EXTREMELY RISKY BUSINESS EVEN WHEN YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND ARE INSTALLING EVEN MANUFACTURER APPROVED BIOS UPDATES In most cases its better to treat the Bios like a sleeping bear and unless you have no other choice but to poke it and steal its picnic basket you're better off letting it sleep.

Many motherboards have options that allow you to download and install the BIOS through windows however it just adds to the risks since you're having to work around windows and other programs that are using the chipset while you are re-writing it. I believe your manufacturer also supports an on-board BIOS update utility that can more than likely update from a flash drive or floppy disk. I would pursue that option as it would be the most direct route, and sadly if things go south you'll already be familiar with it enough to undo the damage.

Please do yourself a favor as well and use one of the BIOS utilities to make a backup copy of your current BIOS, in case things go bad you can use that to go back to a working model.

#6 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:15 AM

If you go to the Performance tab of Task Manager...double-click the CPU usage graph...how many cores are represented?

Double-clicking doesn't changes anything... if it booted up with only 1 core - it's like this permanently.

I'm not sure if it's AMD Processor Driver related (Cool'n'Quiet).

The only things that are bothering me now:

1. Case fan at rear, that I assume driver additional dust.
2. A little defect at the peripherals rear panel - one "metal line" is ripped out, that is not in use (technician's fault, was in a hurry).
* 3. Default BIOS settings, that are somewhat incorrect; USB mouse and keyboard are disabled, until I enable it. Accidently changed (not real defaults).
4. Time-to-time, only 1 processor core... that is somehow mysteriously related to constant, unexpected reboots.

Ahh... that's the first time in life (!) I can't figure out what to do. Can't fix it.

If only you guys could help me. :(

* = My motherboard is from GIGABYTE tech., they have something like "Dual BIOS". Maybe that could help me reset to real defaults?

Edited by rhino1366, 27 March 2011 - 06:18 AM.

#7 Guest_trizicus_*

Guest_trizicus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:05 PM

The BIOS supports your CPU.

Instructions depend on the manufacturer, so you will need to find their guides.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users