Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about Windows XP Run console

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:32 AM

Hi.

Is it possible to order "check all drives for errors on next reboot" through Windows XP Run console? Is there such a command?

Regards, :)
rhino

Edited by rhino1366, 25 March 2011 - 08:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:19 AM

How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

#3 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

Hmm... I can't find it.

Is there an applicable command for Windows XP Run console that will reboot my PC and scan all drives for errors?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:15 PM

No, each partition must be set up individually...but you can run the command for each partition so that the scans will be done sequentially.

Louis

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:11 PM

I have a question re running chkdsk w/ either /f or /r. Will you always get the message that a file is open and chkdsk will be run on the next startup because a windows' file will always be open if windows is loaded? There doesn't seem to be a way to schedule chkdsk to run at startup unless running it w/ /f or /r always means it gets scheduled to run the next boot.
I read you can use sfutil to flag the disk as dirty so that chkdsk [autochck] runs at the next boot. You can't set parameters that way tho. Does authochk always include both the /f & /r functions or just the /f?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

autocheck runs with the /f switch

And you will only get the message that checkdisk needs to run on the next boot when you run it on the system partition. It needs exclusive access to all files when it runs and obviously that can't happen when you are booted to the OS. Other partitions will allow checkdisk to run without a reboot.

#7 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:51 PM

Thanks Allan,

I only have a one partition, one hdd pc so I meant running chkdsk on the system partition. So chkdsk only runs on the system partition in read only mode w/in windows and if you use either /f or /r in the command line or check repair in the system hdd > properties tool it will schedule itself [or Autochk] to run at the next boot. I just wanted to be sure if I ran chckdsk w/ /f or /r it wouldn't start running w/in windows. MS articles say IF a file is opened on the system partition you will get the message chkdsk will run at next boot. I was pretty sure if windows is loaded some file chckdsk checks would be considered opened, but I'm not always sure of the terminology as used.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users