Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

faulty cd drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chopinsin

chopinsin

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:28 AM

i have a dell inspiron 1300. it had roxio and nero installed on it. i used the roxio to burn cd's until recently. the drive seems to have gone bad. i cannot burn a cd using it. i have uninstalled both roxio and nero to no avail. all that shows when a disc dvd or cd is blank. what can i do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:50 AM

Pertinent error messages received when trying to use the drive?

You properly uninstalled both Roxio and Nero?

Did you try any other burn apps...e.g., Imgburn?

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:56 AM

Your post says the drive seems to have gone bad. That's certainly a possibility. Do you have another drive you can try?

#4 chopinsin

chopinsin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:09 AM

@Louis..there is no error message. when i insert a disc there is simply no response. i used your uninstaller 2010 to remove both applications and i believe they were properly uninstalled. and no i have not tried any other applications because the drive does not seem to be reading any disc inserted in it.

@Allan...no i d not have another drive. the thing is when i insert a disc it spins and when i go to My Computer the icon for D: drive shows either a dvd or cd is inserted. when i click on the icon a blank/empty window opens. so i think the drive is still working but perhaps the settings are wrong.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:45 AM

FWIW: Your Uninstaller 2010...appears to have different aspects, including some that alter system files.

If your drive worked properly before installing or using this application...I would try uninstalling this app, then running the chkdsk /r command.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot and let the command execute...system will boot into Windows upon completion of the command.

Louis

#6 chopinsin

chopinsin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:23 AM

FWIW: Your Uninstaller 2010...appears to have different aspects, including some that alter system files.

If your drive worked properly before installing or using this application...I would try uninstalling this app, then running the chkdsk /r command.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot and let the command execute...system will boot into Windows upon completion of the command.

Louis

Hi Louis...did as you instructed and still getting the same results...i have a music cd in the drive now...when i click on the d: drive icon it opens like if the cd is blank..

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

Might as well try MS FixIt .

Ignore all ads, but take a look at http://club.myce.com/f61/troubleshooting-my-optical-drive-doesnt-recognize-discs-like-they-should-83984/ .

Louis

#8 chopinsin

chopinsin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:50 AM

Might as well try MS FixIt .

Ignore all ads, but take a look at http://club.myce.com/f61/troubleshooting-my-optical-drive-doesnt-recognize-discs-like-they-should-83984/ .

Louis

Louis I read through the club myce article and decided to get a lens cleaner first. i am happy but embarrassed to say the drive worked after cleaning it. it reads all cd's and dvd's. i now want to install roxio creator media on it for burning discs. any suggestions?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:33 AM

<<i now want to install roxio creator media on it for burning discs. any suggestions?>>

I don't understand your question...suggestions about what?

I haven't used Roxio products in over 10 years, if that is what you are referring to. Any decent burn program will do the job, unless you have system problems or the program doesn't properly install. The developer of a program...normally provides all the info that a user needs to know to properly employ the program.

Louis

#10 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:48 AM

Glad you got it working, I was about to post to suggest you try a lens cleaner until I saw your saying that's what fixed it.

Roxio is a commercial product that isn't free so I can't offer any suggestions for you there but you could try some free alternatives detailed here: Free alternatives to Nero
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users