Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox not working well

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sherrymyra

sherrymyra

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:14 PM

Not sure where to put this.

I am having issues with Firefox. I had thought I would check for updates and just update to the latest version to see if the issues would resolve. However, when I go into Help to look for "Updates" instead it says "apply downloaded update". That update is for version 3.6.16. When I try that it fails. I have 3.6.6 on my computer right now. There is a newer version out. Firefox 4.0. Can I uninstall the version I have now and install the latest version? If I do that will my Bookmarks be carried over with the new install?

Edited by hamluis, 25 March 2011 - 06:53 AM.
Moved from Vista to Web Browsing/Email.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:22 PM

You would be best to save your bookmarks to a folder on the desktop and then restore them after you update to the new version of Firefox. Check on the forum for your security software to see if there are any conflicts or missing components due to incompatibilities. Some of your present add-ons may also not work properly for a while.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:23 PM

You can simply download and install Firefox 4.0 it will upgrade your version.

#4 sherrymyra

sherrymyra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:42 PM

How do I save my bookmarks to a folder?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:54 PM

Go to the Bookmark Bar and click on Show all Bookmarks then follow this How do I backup/restore my bookmarks?

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:32 AM

Actually, bookmarks, passwords,and preferences are stored in a separate folder; if you upgrade to Ff4, this folder is not effected, and your bookmarks, etc., will automatically be loaded when you open Ff4.
Unless you have been having problems with these in your current version of Ff, then you need not worry or take extra steps.

Edited by jgweed, 25 March 2011 - 09:32 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users