Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to backup onto external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 de_nogent

de_nogent

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

I'm trying to backup my Windows XP PC to an external 150G hard drive which has two 74G partitions - one formatted for my Mac (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) and the other for PC (MS-DOS FAT(32), or Windows NT File System (NTFS)). I created the partitions using the Mac. I use Time Machine to backup the Mac. I tried using the Backup Tool in Windows but it stops when it reaches 4G of the partition and tells me to insert a floppy disk to continue. How else can I backup my computer to the external drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:44 AM

NT Backup has known limitations, but the 4GB file size limitation is a FAT32 known characteristic.

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

Louis

I suggest converting the FAT32 partition to NTFS.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

Edited by hamluis, 25 March 2011 - 06:46 AM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:58 AM

Use disc imaging software. The best of breed is Acronis True Image, but it isn't free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect. Be sure to set the option to Verify the image during creation. It takes longer, but insures a valid image.

#4 de_nogent

de_nogent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

hamlus:
Apparently the drive was already formatted to NTFS (although originally I formatted it to FAT with my Mac).

Allan:
I downloaded Macrium Reflect and completed the backup. Thanks again.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:43 PM

You're welcome. I strongly suggest creating new images on a regular basis, keeping the 2 or 3 most recent images. That way you will always have a safe haven.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users